Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

General nonproductivity

I believe it was Excel '97? that if you knew the sequence contained a flight simulator, and there were other Microsoft programs that had various Easter eggs.
    Anyone know of any these days?
    Last edited by t8ntlikly; 2015-03-31 at 15:38.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    John,

This should keep you busy.
    EasterEggs.JPG
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks guys.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Larry Osterman explains why we don't find Easter Eggs these days in Microsoft software.

Thanks
    IIRC uTorrent has Tetris!

I believe you press control-t on the help/about screen.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Larry Osterman explains why we don't find Easter Eggs these days in Microsoft software.
    I get why they don't do it now, but it's a shame IMO. The best ever was in Windows 95.

OP, there are plenty in Google itself. Try this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i hope not

they caused problems and are a sign of security risks if the suits had so little control over the code that the hackers slipped in easter eggs instead of making the code more reliable

Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    I believe it was Excel '97? that if you knew the sequence contained a flight simulator, and there were other Microsoft programs that had various Easter eggs.
    Anyone know of any these days?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to speedball For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2015-04-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    i hope not

they caused problems and are a sign of security risks if the suits had so little control over the code that the hackers slipped in easter eggs instead of making the code more reliable
    I have to agree with this assessment. Given that if hackers got into the code, they have the power to do other, more malevolent things, I would not like to find out that someone slipped in any Easter Eggs to Microsoft code (or anyone else's code for that matter) in this day and age.

Easter Eggs were fun while they lasted. But times have changed, and we can no longer allow people to play games with software security.

I've been told some games still have Easter Eggs, and "secret levels" or cheating secret codes. Not being a gamer myself, I can't verify or deny these recent claims.
    -- Bob Primak --

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I've never heard of any easter eggs causing a security breach. They're just a bit of fun, and no worse than any other feature in software that you may not have known about.

BTW, I'm using Firefox and typed about:robots in the address bar...

Thanks
    Gort Klaatu barada nikto
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    I have to agree with this assessment. Given that if hackers got into the code, they have the power to do other, more malevolent things, I would not like to find out that someone slipped in any Easter Eggs to Microsoft code (or anyone else's code for that matter) in this day and age.

Easter Eggs were fun while they lasted. But times have changed, and we can no longer allow people to play games with software security.

I've been told some games still have Easter Eggs, and "secret levels" or cheating secret codes. Not being a gamer myself, I can't verify or deny these recent claims.
    It's not "hackers" that inserted the easter eggs, it's the MS programmers working on the product.

Thanks
    It would seem to this old programmer/tech, that the goal of any good programmer would be to write his/her code to be as compact and free of redundancy as possible.
    I used to work on a computer that only had 4k of memory, and all programs had to be written to work in that small amount of memory. There was certainly NO room for misc. crap.

I always hope, that the programmers at MS are as conscious as I would be about how much room in RAM their programs take up.
    But, it would appear, that much of the code we see today is overloaded with BLOAT.
    Even Windows itself, is horribly bloated, with thousands of lines of code that would be better off left out.
    And how about those pointless apps, that most people would never use....like Moviemaker, Paint, Pinball, etc.

I once got a hold of a version of XP, called "Stripped to the bone". It was tiny, by comparison to the official version, and would install on any PC in just 15 minutes. It was the basic OS, without all the Bloatware.

I'd love to see an OS like that today, with just a good package of hardware drivers, but without the Browser, Movie Maker, and all those games and things that very few people ever use. Make the extra stuff available, for FREE download to those who actually want it.

Oh well, Just dreaming. Eh?

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Even Windows itself, is horribly bloated, with thousands of lines of code that would be better off left out.
    And how about those pointless apps, that most people would never use....like Moviemaker, Paint, Pinball, etc.

I once got a hold of a version of XP, called "Stripped to the bone". It was tiny, by comparison to the official version, and would install on any PC in just 15 minutes. It was the basic OS, without all the Bloatware.

I'd love to see an OS like that today, with just a good package of hardware drivers, but without the Browser, Movie Maker, and all those games and things that very few people ever use. Make the extra stuff available, for FREE download to those who actually want it.

Oh well, Just dreaming. Eh?
    That's exactly what Microsoft have done with MovieMaker and Pinball for the last eight years.

I disagree that Paint is pointless.

An OS without a browser is silly.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I disagree that Paint is pointless.

An OS without a browser is silly.
    Paint is useful if only because it's simpler that other image editors. I use it daily when wanting to print portions of a screen capture. But I also have Paint.NET, GIMP, IrfanView and Graphic Workshop Professional for more serious endeavors.

I keep a WinXP that would do quite well without a browser but unfortunately Internet Explorer is interwoven somewhat with Windows Explorer. The use I have for the computer is for clients that need to retrieve data from 3.5" floppies, 5.25" floppies [drives A: and B:] and Zip disks [internal PATA], many newer computers have a BIOS that supports only 1 floppy [A:] or none.
    If I get to it I may put an LTS/Long Term Support version of Linux on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast