Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install stops at 79%

Thanxx to all who reply..
    I am attempting to install TP10049.
    I have taken the iso file and used Rufus to make the bootable USB drive.
    When I double click on the setup program, thing progress smoothly till it reaches 79% completion.
    Had to same problem with 90029, and had to do a fresh install, and I think this will be my only option for 10049 as well.
    Is there anyway that I can back up my settings ( specifically the wife's user info) and restore them after a complete fresh install from USB drive..??

Again, thanxx for your help
    Peter

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have taken the iso file and used Rufus to make the bootable USB drive
    Are you using the same USB drive for 10049 as you did for the 9029 install? Could be the drive has a problem. Or maybe the Rufus program has an issue? Have you tried your CD/DVD Burning program to create the disc from the .iso file then install from that?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What's wrong with upgrading via Windows Update?

The official ISO for 10049 hasn't been released yet.

But most only require it for a clean install anyway.

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanxx for your quick replies..
    For some reason Win10 will not see my CD/dvd drive, so burning to a dvd is not an option
    Windows update is not an option, because it tries to download an update for my HP printer. That updates fails during the install, and starts chasing its tail till I kill it. That also kills the rest of the update..
    I have copied all of the required files from USB drive to a secondary SSD drive While that speed-ed thing considerably it also comes to a stop at 79%. I have tried 2 separate iso images, both with the same results...

Thanxx..

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It may be necessary to uninstall and disconnect the HP printer first. I have 2 HP printers on my Network and haven't had that issue. I wouldn't use the Microsoft drivers unless that was the only choice.

When I see an Optical Disc Drive/ODD problem I go to the External USB ODD I got for use on Netbooks, could be the internal ODD has a problem.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-04-01 at 13:02.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton;
    Thanxx for the response..
    I had previously installed HP software, driver, etc in the previous TP. Had install problems there with the software. I have uninstalled all the HP stuff, but update still wants to install new HP driver updates.
    My ODD worked when I was running win7 on this pc. My firmware recognizes it, and will even boot from it. When I load win10, it is transported to a new dimension, not visible from the desktop.

My main question, is can I back up user settings and reload them into TP10041..??

Thanxx..
    Peter

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I should have mentioned that Windows Update stops at 78%.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Oh my, Peter...

My 1st trouble is w/ the Build # 90029; it is not familiar to me, @ all.

I will tell you that during the install it will sit a one stage or another, say 30%, 70%, or 79% but, long enough that one may think it has stopped. Patience, Grasshopper.

As to your last query... I'm going to say no, in the sense that I think you mean it. You can save her data & plop it on the Win10 10049 after it's live but, cannot retain her configuring ...except she will have some of 'her' stuff upon signing in w/ her MS Acc't. Only an in-place Upgrade will preserve all personal settings & arrangements. Custom ot clean is just that, fresh & new, clean slate.

If it is, actually, hanging... go download the ISO, again, reburn & try the Install, again.

Although, really, I don't why you wouldn't just go to 10049 via WU. But, you must have your reasons; I just can't imagine...

Cheers,
    Drew
    thO622AIFO.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-04-01 at 20:03.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew;
    Thanxx for the response. Although I am NOT a Dr. without patients, I am a very patient person. I believe that after running all night the update should complete. It makes no difference if I am trying to update via WU, or from iso files. When there is no disk activity for several hours, I consider it to be hung. I think the problem may be related to rebooting the machine. whenever a web page goes unresponsive, the power option on the Win icon does not reboot the machine. I get the the blue screen with the little dots chasing themselves forever till I press the restart button. I guess it is back to doing a complete install from bootable usb drive..

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Decided to load fresh...