5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do system-repair disks need updating?

LANGALIST PLUS

Do system-repair disks need updating?

By Fred Langa

A system-repair disk might be your only way to start and access a severely malfunctioning PC. How often do you need to update this vital tool? Plus: Solving Windows and Office clipboard malfunctions and sorting out the differences between traditional disk imaging and Win8's system imaging.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/do-system-repair-disks-need-updating/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Use "all of the above" for system repair disks

Fred,
    Thanks for the great advice on updating system repair media to incorporate OS and maintenance changes. However, based on a painful personal experience I would advise readers to keep more than one type of media for each repair disk (e.g. DVD -and- flash drive). When my system crashed following a Registry "cleaning" I pulled out my Win7 System Repair disk - only to find my DVD drive wasn't working either! Fortunately I had a months-old hard drive backup and was able to reboot using that. Ever since then I make both DVD and flash drive versions of any emergency media.
    Regards,
    DaveInAustin