5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing names again: 'Metro' becomes 'Windows'

TOP STORY

By Woody Leonhard

An obscure notice that 'Metro apps' are now 'Windows apps' leaves more than a few Windows observers confused.

Microsoft has a long history of bungled product branding, but its latest decision plumbs new depths.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/changing-names-again-metro-becomes-windows (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    You're slagging off Microsoft for the constant name changing;
    Wouldn't you be slagging them off just as much if they tried to keep everything behind closed doors until they had a finished product to display ? You can't expect full accountability without expecting to get some of the developmental complications thrown in, too.

Thanks
    I can't believe the confusion you just created. It makes perfect sense to me to call the apps Windows Apps or Windows Desktop Apps. How is that going to be confusing. We have Apple Apps and Google Apps and now we will have Windows Apps. Makes perfect sense unless a person is a Windows trasher, then it gives something to rag about. The confusion comes from your confusion, not from MS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Welcome back Ted!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's probably safe to say that the vast majority of people who read the newsletter or this forum understand the main difference between Metro/Universal/Windows Apps and PC/Desktop Windows Apps.

It's probably safe to say that a significant majority of users don't understand the difference, but can learn.

I'd also say that a not insignificant minority of users will never understand the difference no matter what you call them or what you do to educate the public.

It would have been simpler if they could have been referred to as PC applications and Tablet apps from the start. But tablet PC's blurred that line and MS pretty much destroyed the line when they failed to distinguish between their own Surface tablets and tablet PC's.

I'm fairly certain that there's a few bright people at MS who could come up with some easily understood way of phrasing things. But I'm fairly certain that engineers are not those people. Nothing against engineers, but they can make the difference between black and white read like quantum mechanics.

Thanks
    It's probably safe to say in the larger scheme of things W.R.G.A.S!
    I can't believe that that was worth an editorial You can do and have done a lot better
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Giving up

As someone who provides tech support to others since MS DOS 1.0 I observe how Microsoft is running out of ideas what to change to "improve" the average user experience. It Renames, Repaints, Repositions GUI elements to sell a "new version". Once I learn what the new icon looks like and where it is under what name I discover same old same old - many bugs not fixed for decades and Microsoft not responding. I gave up trying to inquire when this or that will be fixed by late 90's.

The reality is that my customers can't keep up and DON'T CARE. The amount of time saved by the "new improved" anything does nowhere near make up their time wasted on learning. To frivolously add to it otherwise completely useless memorizing of confusing, ever-changing, inconsistent names of MS products is insulting.

Having tried Windows 8, spending all kinds of time desperately installing third party Start buttons and removing Metro, just to be removing the same with Win 8.1, I am fed up. Call me Microsoft bashing but Windows 7 is my Windows LAST. Linux looks so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

TOP STORY

By Woody Leonhard

An obscure notice that 'Metro apps' are now 'Windows apps' leaves more than a few Windows observers confused.

Microsoft has a long history of bungled product branding, but its latest decision plumbs new depths.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/changing-names-again-metro-becomes-windows (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    It's probably safe to say in the larger scheme of things W.R.G.A.S!
    I can't believe that that was worth an editorial You can do and have done a lot better
    Quite agree, a non-article by any imagination.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joedob is correct: Linux is looking SO much better! Windows is like the 'all NEW and improved' car models: cosmetic changes are now called "NEW"! In reality, nothing is really that new. And when you add in the 'NEW' prices, you feel cheated! While with Linux, things DO change for the better, and there is NO cost! Really good applications are somewhat hard to find, true, but THEY are also free! I am about 99.25% ready to go strictly Linux! A few more of these phony 'upgrades' from MS and I'll be there. PS I also go back to DOS 1.0, and with each 'improvement' I have said the same thing; "Isn't there a better way?" Surely, there is!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MS naming is indeed ridiculous: 95, 98, 98 Second Edition, Millenium, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10. Ludicrous.

I personally think in terms of two software categories:

Computer Programs: Word, Ableton, VLC media player, etc.

Metro Apps: Ugly crappy bits of nothing irritations full of advertising. YMMV.

Of course, MS wants it all to be "Apps" so that the boundary between proper software and MS Store software is blurred in order to sell more from their Store and gain market share in the mobile market. The trouble is that MS is focused too much on what MS wants rather than what customers want. It wants to manipulate us into their desires rather than meeting our desires.

As for the claim that Windows 10 is going to be a "tremendous product", that depends on who you are and what you want. Certainly, it has great features, but it is also laden with marketing agendas and privacy issues. This is in stark contrast to previous versions of Windows, which were focused on optimal program performance. I'd rather pay for a Windows that works well and is free of the marketing agendas and privacy issues, than get a freebie aimed at manipulating me into MS-land.
    Last edited by Martin Gifford; 2015-04-02 at 17:41.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Move ON...

The Technorati have been whining for clarity on Microsoft's cross platform strategy and its marketing since the release of Windows Phone 7 Series (otherwise know as "what we are calling it"). Its getting old. I guess the only thing that would make them happy is to start naming everything after cats or national parks because that makes a whole lot of sense. While you and they are complaining about something that should not/ will not matter to anyone other than the Technorati you left out at least a half a dozen other APPS (console apps, MS-DOS apps, browser apps, java apps, etc...) You see in the end it is a big who cares.

Because it is Windows and it is still the dominant personal computing OS for the X86 platform and developers will write, companies will sell, and people will use any kind of APP that runs on that platform and provides a function they need, want, or enjoy. The fact that Windows APPS (no matter what they are named) extends the market to phones, gaming consoles, the cloud and the internet of things only makes the potential audience larger and more lucrative. Be glad of that as it will increase the market for this newsletter as well.

Folks in your position should be able to see that it is Microsoft's intent to eventually have Windows Apps do for the array of devices available today that run Microsoft software what good old Windows 3.1 did for the for the machines and devices of the MS-DOS 3.1 world in years gone by. They want to provide users with a solid familiar platform on which they can get things done without worrying about which device they are using or what its processor is in it or how it connects to the world around it. The growing pains will be difficult but those that fall behind will be left behind (remember Word Perfect). The value of that seems to be clear to more and more folks as Samsung and Dell buy in by preloading connected Office APPS on platforms that won't ever run Windows but know they need to be a part of it all.

Move ON and write about things your audience cares about and leave the history lessons of Microsoft product naming for those that can't do better.

!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Our biggest complaint, here, is the constant fluctuation and name changes, when nothing really changed. Also, the constant 'improvements' which only brought us other bugs and flaws, to be patched, later. WHY can't MS perfect their products FIRST, before foisting them off on us, to debug for them? Win 3.1 was NOT the perfect OS, either. Constantly reinstalling it, so that, MAYBE, we could get some use out of it, all the while knowing that the DOS version was MUCH faster and FAR more reliable! Later, things did NOT improve: Win XP was almost there, and I used it for many years. mostly reliable right up to the support cutoff. I waited for Win 8.0, thinking it would be FASTER to load, FASTER to use and overall better. It wasn't! In fact, after using it awhile, I had to boot up my old system, to retrieve some files, and I noticed how much FASTER it loaded! I was tempted to stay on XP, except that the support was gone. A supposedly MUCH faster processor, with FOUR cores was slower than my old AMD 2000 system! I am still looking for the expected 'improvements' that 13 years SHOULD have produced! Is this Planned Obsolescence? Or just poor planning? I know, let's change the name, and tell everyone it is NEW and IMPROVED! Most users won't even know the difference (or care!) Pretty pictures and bright colors and they'll think it's wonderful. Some of us go back far enough that we just aren't impressed, I guess.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wink You ain't seen nuttin, buddy!

@joedob/Giving UP:

Uh, been there with Linux well over a decade now, and all I can say is, "you ain't seen nuttin" like the Linux UI Desktop Environment (DE) choices. As I waded through various distros and DE's in that time - i.e., Gnome 2 (my recent favorite), MATE (current favorite since it still looks/works much like Gnome 2 much better than Gnome 3 does - go figure), KDE, CDE, FVWM, IceWM Openbox, Fluxbox, Enlightenment, Cinnamon, Ubuntu's Unity, Afterstep (lookalike for Steve Jobs' NextStep precursor UI to the MacOS UI), and my favorite UI name (not actual UI), Ratpoison (GUI via keyboard, and no mouse support), etc.

I saw so much variation and change (even version changes like KDE going from 3.5 to 4.x, and Gnome going from 2 to 3, started not so minor flame wars), that Win 8.x was "nuttin" by comparison, so I have not had much trouble picking it up.

Be careful of what you ask for, and don't burn Windows bridges behind you...

As for a new name for the Win 8.x/10/Phone UI, I would suggest something somewhat descriptive like "WinTile", or maybe "WinTablet" UI - anyone wanna second the motion?
    Last edited by rokky; 2015-04-03 at 21:55.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know. It seems to me they should just call them ALL Windows, with the understanding that not ALL apps are going to work on each platform. Make this crystal clear from the beginning, so you know that, for example, the touch part (probably) isn't going to work on your desktop. And that Office isn't going to work on your tablet, which only has 1 or 2 GB of memory. That sort of thing. As for the iPhones, call it Windows Mobile, letting the free apps (or otherwise) fill in the blanks. I just don't see a real problem here. Buy the version you need and just ignore the others; There will be a NEW version out soon, anyway. That's just how MS rolls.