Lounger
    Thanks

Force Word attachments to open in Word 2010 on a dual 2010/2013 machine

Hi folks,

We're a 2010 environment but when our IT guys deployed some new machines they installed 2013. The claim they can't uninstall it (I call BS) so they installed 2010 as well. When the unlucky users with new machines double-click an Office attachment, the attachments always open in 2013. However, if the attachment is saved first and then opened, the attachments open in 2010. I looked at Default Programs; no luck (I don't see anyplace to associate attachments). Is there a way to force attachments to open in 2010?

Thanks in advance,

Beej

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    You should always install Office from the oldest version first to the newest version last.

See if How to Set an Older Version of MS Office as the Default to Open Files helps.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. I took a look at the link but that's not my problem. Documents open with the right version as long as they aren't attachments. This means the file extensions are associated properly. I guess my real question is, what controls which application is fired off by Outlook when an attachment is opened. I don't see it as an option within Outlook.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts