Lounger
    Thanks

Need good email client for travel

I need a recommendation for a reliable, and ideally free, webmail application to use on my traveling laptop, which does not have my usual Outlook installed. In the past, I used Verizon Webmail, but during a recent trip to Mexico, was not able to get on for two weeks. It supposedly had something to do with "blocked" IP addresses for "security" reasons, but who knows. It worked last year from another location of the same resort. So, I need an alternative. Tried mail2web yesterday and couldn't get that to work. While troubleshooting on their site, got connected to one of these scam sites that says they need to "clean up" your machine for a fee. Forget that! Your recommendations will be most appreciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A webmail application is a web browser, such as Internet Explorer. If you mean an email client, Thunderbird is good, been using it for years.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have probably used some incorrect terminology here. I used to log onto Verizon Webmail when I was away from home and using my small laptop that I travel with. It doesn't have Outlook like I use on my "home" laptop. I was able to read my email and generate replies. More importantly, I could leave important messages on the Verizon server which would automatically download to Outlook on my "main" machine once I got home and started Outlook. Will Thunderbird allow me to do this with my Verizon email? I don't want or need another email account. I'm also wondering if the problem with IP addresses would still occur, even if I switch from Verizon Webmail to Thunderbird.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    TB will do everything that Outlook will do; you'll need the server settings from your email provider, but happily TB can usually get them automatically. Your IP address shouldn't make any difference.

There are other email clients out there, but TB is my weapon of choice; we all have our favourites. More info here.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The reason I use Webmail/Online E-Mail is in the sending of messages and replies. When not logging into my ISP such as a clients house or while traveling I go to my ISPs E-Mail server online, avoids the issue of relaying that prohibits sending using the account in my installed E-Mail Client while connected to a different ISP. I manage my messages and anything left on the server then will be downloaded to my computer when I get back to it. It's also easier to manage since I have more than one mobile device, everything works the same whether on Windows, Mac OS X or Linux.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My ISP allowed relaying; they had a separate server for the purpose. When they got bought by another ISP the problem came back. I found the solution quite by accident when I changed from POP to IMAP; suddenly I could send emails from anywhere. The reason is, of course, that when you're using IMAP, your SMTP uses a different port (plus authenticated login), which isn't blocked by the ISP.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Eager View Post
    I used Verizon Webmail, but during a recent trip to Mexico, was not able to get on for two weeks
    A local mail client will not fix that problem because the block is at the ISP so it affects any program on your machine. If you used a VPN that would have got you around the block - assuming the VPN wasn't blocked too.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    A local mail client will not fix that problem because the block is at the ISP so it affects any program on your machine. If you used a VPN that would have got you around the block - assuming the VPN wasn't blocked too.

cheers, Paul
    If HTTP requests are blocked, it doesn't necessarily follow that other protocols are blocked too, especially if you use authentication such as you would with IMAP. I'm not saying it definitely would work; I'm just saying it's a non sequitur.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would give em Client a look. I use it as an imap, but it also does pop mail. To email accounts let you use the free version. More than two email accounts you need to upgrade to the pro version. On my Linux I use Thunderbird. It is a good email too, with many add-ons available such as calendar and tasks etc.

I need a recommendation for a reliable, and ideally free, webmail application to use on my traveling laptop, which does not have my usual Outlook installed. In the past, I used Verizon Webmail, but during a recent trip to Mexico, was not able to get on for two weeks. It supposedly had something to do with "blocked" IP addresses for "security" reasons, but who knows. It worked last year from another location of the same resort. So, I need an alternative. Tried mail2web yesterday and couldn't get that to work. While troubleshooting on their site, got connected to one of these scam sites that says they need to "clean up" your machine for a fee. Forget that! Your recommendations will be most appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you think that your ISP is blocking your access to webmail because you are in Mexico, have a look at Zenmate, a free VPN that can make you appear to be in the USA. It is a browser add-on for all major browsers, apart from IE, that is.

I am in the UK, deal with a number of rather parochial US companies that will not deal with non-US sign-ins. Zenmate makes me appear as if I am in the USA, bingo!

And, to your other point, yes, TB is great.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Bat! Voyager (free with The Bat! Pro) might work for you:

https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/voyager/

The Bat! is more sophisticated than Thunderbird and still actively being updated (Thunderbird sees only security fixes for the most part but free is hard to beat if it provides a solution for your problem).

Thanks
    I have probably used some incorrect terminology here. I used to log onto Verizon Webmail when I was away from home ...
    Don, this thread is old, but it doesn't appear anyone has helped solve your problem. If you have used Verizon's webmail, it means you probably have a @verizon.net email account. You access your account from home using Outlook (an email client), but when away use a webbrowser (Firefox, IE, Chrome) to access Verizon's webmail servers. A new email client will not solve your problem, and no Thunderbird would not replace Verizon's webmail in any case (we're talking apples and oranges, here).

What you need to do is find out why access to Verizon's server is blocked or denied from the Mexican resort, or anywhere else you get internet access. If your resort ISP is blocking, you could try to find an internet cafe to see if you can get access elsewhere. You might also try this before you leave town. Test your existing configuration by using your travel laptop on your own network, or going to a wi-fi hotspot, and see if you can log on to Verzion webmail. If you can't logon with your existing browser, there may be a security setting problem. If you use an older browser such as IE8, that might be the problem. You could try switching to Firefox or Chrome.

If you cannot find the right combination, you may indeed need a new webmail account. Both gmail and yahoo offer free webmail, but this means you'd have to change your email account, which doesn't really solve your problem. This information is late, but I hope you find it helpful. ~RonR

I