New Lounger
    Thanks

"We couldn't complete the updates - undoing changes"

Ran into this little gem the other day - computer is now stuck in an endless loop of attempting to install updates, restarting, then saying it couldn't complete them and undoing what it just did before beginning the entire process again. I've Googled the problem and it seems it's a fairly widespread issue with a recent update, although it seems other people are able to get at least partial functionality back (enough to access update history, etc.). But my machine is caught in the update progress screen and cycles between that and a "couldn't complete" message.

Some people suggested F8 or Shift + F8 and I tried that to no avail (apparently Windows 8 boots too fast to recognize keystrokes?), so I need a little help - any suggestions what to do from here?

Thanks,
    Smedley

New Lounger
    Thanks
    UPDATE: It now gets as far as my password screen to log onto Windows but still crashes back into that loop when I try to enter my password. Is this progress or just another variation of a (messed-up) theme?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    What security apps are you using? Sometimes security apps get in the way of Windows updates...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are other ways to boot into Safe Mode in Win 8/8.1 which will stop the loop because Windows Updates don't work in that mode.

http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boo...s-8-windows-81