Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts

Does windows defrag your SSD? Are you sure!

Hey Y'all,

In view of Lincoln Specter's latest article which I have some problems with his Win 8 advice I did a little searching and came up with this article. Comments? HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-04-02)

Thanks
    As far as I can see, Vadim's article is tied up with this one: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRea...ntYourSSD.aspx and Vadim is commenting there, as is Scott (apparently, I can't see the comments on Vadim's blog for whatever reason) similarly commenting on Vadim's article.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    So the answer is "let Windows handle it", as usual.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    The answer should be - "check it for yourself"?

Thanks
    I run optimization once a week whether it needs it or not.
    Windows defrag does NOT really defrag your SSD.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with him that virtual memory will wear an SSD out faster but I disagree with his advice to turn it off ... or point it to a secondary HDD (which he did not mention as a possible option for VM and hibernation).

To me an SSD is meant to be used is it not? Wear and tear--is unpredictable except unfortunately on an Intel SSD--takes quite a while and by the time an SSD reaches its EOL I doubt most would not already have swapped it for another boot drive.

Virtual memory is a nice cheat for RAM limitations. If I hit those limits I would rather have the write than a crash. If I do not reach the limits you do not have the write. If I have a write I want it on my SSD not a slower HDD. That is partly why I paid for an SSD...to use it.

I think modern SSD long term durability fears are way overblown. I bought a 512GB 850 Pro last week for less than I paid for a 20MB HDD (not factoring 30+ years inflation). No moving parts, low power consumption and negligible heat generation. 10 yr warranty.

http://techreport.com/review/27909/t...heyre-all-dead
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-04-02 at 18:56.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The defrag exe is used and does intelligently optimize SSD storage. It is not defragmenting in the traditional sense. Read the article linked in post 2.

Joe

Thanks
    I defrag my SSD's monthly, using MyDefrag's SSD algorithm. I have System Restore turned off, and the defrag tasks in Task Scheduler disabled.

Years ago, the company truck I used for a (at least once a month, sometimes twice) 4 hour trip (one way) had only an AM/FM radio. I bought a cheap MP3 player that plugged into the cigarette lighter, and broadcast a weak FM signal that the radio could pick up cleanly, as long as one picked a frequency that wasn't occupied. The player could read a thumb drive as long as there were no folders, just a music tracks.

The predictability of the playlist got boring, but on 'shuffle', the player took almost a minute to select the next track. I defragged my SanDisk thumb drive, and the lag between tracks during 'shuffle' completely disappeared. Admittedly, the player had a minimal processor, but there was an astounding difference, nonetheless, that can only be attributed to defragging the thumb drive.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I have been watching my Win7's Disk Defragmenter since early December 2014 after I replaced my 2TB HDD, which has D:\ ("DATA") & E:\ ("BACKUP") partitions. Win7 is on a 150GB partition at C:\ ("WIN7PRO64") on my SSD.

Defrag is still reporting C:\ as being 7% fragmented, and "Last run" on 4 December 2014. Makes sense to me since most of my work files are on the D:\ partition on the 2TB HDD, so the data on the C:\ partition on the SSD doesn't change all that much (mostly just temporary files & new emails).
    Defrag.jpg
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Bbearren,

I followed your link to download MyDefrag but was put off when I notice it hadn't been updated since May of 2010! That's more than 2 years before the release of Win 8.0.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Bbearren,

I followed your link to download MyDefrag but was put off when I notice it hadn't been updated since May of 2010! That's more than 2 years before the release of Win 8.0.
    Never fear, RG. MyDefrag uses %Windows%\System32\Defrag.exe to carry out its algorithms, so the machinery is as up-to-date as your installation of Windows.

"MyDefrag is extremely solid because it is based on the standard defragmentation API by Microsoft, a system library that is included in Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, 2008, and Win7. Most defragmenters are based on this API, including the free defragmenter that comes with Windows and many commercial defragmenters. Basically all MyDefrag does is send "move this file to that location" commands to the API. The API is part of the operating system and can safely move almost any file on the disk, without risk and while the computer is in full use."
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG,

You, of all people, should know that an oldie can still be a goodie.

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2015-04-04 at 13:26.

Thanks
    That's completely true. Besides, how much of an update to a defrag utility does one need?
    My Vopt defrag utility hasn't been updated in years either and it still does the same job it always has.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.