New Lounger
    Thanks

hard drive trashes BIOS

I have an HP Envy 700-327c and developed problems when I attempted to install a HP recommended BIOS update. The update did not complete and wiped out my BIOS so the machine wouldn’t boot. I just got 8 long beeps. Tech support was unable to help and the computer was sent in for repair.
    I had cloned the original 1 GB hard drive onto a 2 GB hybrid hard drive.It worked well for three months. I sent the machine to HP for warranty repair with the original 1 GB hard drive. It came back with a new mother board and worked until I put the 2 GB Hard drive in it. Again, the BIOS was wiped clean and the machine wouldn’t boot.
    My assumption was that the BIOS update procedure was still active.
    I sent the computer back to HP with the 1 GB drive and it was returned in working order. The 2 GB drive functions as a secondary drive but I am reluctant to try it out as my boot drive. I really would like to do this as I have 57,000 photos in a Lightroom database that can’t realistically be moved.
    I looked at the2 GB drive and have been unable to spot anything the smells like a BIOS update routine. But that is not an easy task in the face of 423K files. HP refused to tell me anything about how the BIOS update is implemented so I’m at a loss to find the offending routine to remove it.
    Any suggestions?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suppose I would simply park my SSHD in a drawer.

In your BIOS menu is there a setting to prevent BIOS updates/writes? Even if there is...do you want to take the chance it will prevent a third catastrophe?

I agree I don't understand what is going on unless the BIOS update is active and not having completed its routine simply goes for it again once plugged in and powered up. Do you think it could somehow be in the 8GB SSD portion?

Ideas? If you have an old PC you don't mind getting bricked you could fire it up with the SSHD as a secondary and see if you get any response on boot. With luck it will announce wrong BIOS and terminate the app. That would likely be the end of it. You could wipe the drive...consult Seagate for wiping the 8GB SSD portion. If you are unlucky the MB could get bricked.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-04-02 at 15:52.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Assuming you are booting from the 2GB drive there is either a program set to boot before Windows or fires up via the Run or RunOnce registry keys. You should be able to check the registry by using Autoruns from MS. Load Autoruns and select File > Analyze Offline System, then navigate to Windows\System32\config on your 2GB disk.

That PC is UEFI based so I wouldn't expect it to have a program that runs before Windows unless it is added when Windows runs first time - in which case AutoRuns will find it. Does the bricking happen immediately or after a couple of boots?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    A 2GB hard drive? Should That be TB? I have 57,000 photos in a Lightroom database that can’t realistically be moved. Why? You should be backing up on a daily (or at least weekly) basis to at least one external hard drive with preferably another stored off site..

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...our-files.html

If you have back-ups, you can delete the OS from the second drive (if its not being used, its just another file as far as Windows is concerned) and use the drive just for programs and storage. That way, if you screw up the OS again, it wont affect anything else. If you have a clone of the OS on an additional external/internal hard drive as well, that's even better. You can be up and running again within half an hour or so with all your files intact if disaster happens.