Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 asking me to sign in twice or more after start up

I may not have the exact order right because this has been an intermittent problem and I thought I had it solved but then problem reappeared, etc. Several days ago my new Lenovo Edge 15 (got it on 3/11/15) started doing something strange. After logging on, the Start screen and or desktop comes up, but then the screen turns black with a white border where one usually sees the charms bar and then a new logon screen comes up. I usually go to the desktop as soon as I sign up via desktop tile on desktop. I login and it might be okay or do the whole black screen login again thing again. But eventually it seems okay. I did a full scan with McAfee Total Internet Security and it found nothing. Then I ran SuperAntiSpyware and it found Trojan.Agent/Gen-Reputation as well as the usual data tracking stuff. I deleted all. Then I ran MalwareBytes and it came up with 4 P.U.Ps that I removed. One of them told me to remove Sendori and I did. I also did a System restore to the previous week. Everything seemed okay after that. A few days later I am asked to sign-in three times (screen goes black, then login screen reappears). Then works okay again, etc.

A few days later I am asked to sign-in three times (screen goes black, then login screen reappears). I had an external hard drive connected to my computer. After disconnecting it everything seemed fine again. No multiple login requests. Now last night and today my computer is acting up intermittently even with no external hard drives attached asking me to login after I have logged in, screen just going from desktop to login screen after logging in. Just turned it off and a little while later turned it back on (to see if problem was going to repeat) and had to login twice with black screen and then login screen again right after logging in. Anyway, before doing a system Reset or Refresh I thought I would post my question here and see if anyone has any ideas. I appreciate your help.

Oh, I should mention I have both a Microsoft account and a local non-Microsoft account (actually two of these).

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry, Thank you very much for responding to my question. I did perform a clean boot as you suggested. This was new territory for me. I followed the instructions to the best of my abilities. It appears that none of the services were causing the issue but was the very last Startup program (out of about 30—too many no doubt). It appears RoxMMTrayAppModule from Corel is the culprit. I purchased and installed Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning program on 3/17/15. I hope this takes care of it. As of right now it appears to have. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Glad to hear you found the culprit!

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sign on issue has reappeared.

Alas, this is an intermittent error and it has reared its ugly head again. I called Lenovo Support and the technician took control of my laptop and went into Power Options and set most (but not all) of the settings to Never. It was okay the next day, but then the problem came back. I told him there was a BIOS update on the Lenovo site for my computer. He told me not to do this as it would void my warranty.

When I did the Clean Boot the computer kept starting without issue until I got down to the last seven programs that open at startup. My antivirus (which seems to be working fine) was one of those seven programs. My computer came with a 30 day free trial of McAfee Live Safe. I own a 3 license copy of McAfee Total Internet Security and switched to that. When I downloaded that from their website it first removed the trial software. I have not tried removing McAfee to see if this might be causing my problem. I will wait and see if anyone in the forum has any other ideas.

This computer has two video cards. An NVIDA GeForce 840 M and an Intel HD Graphics 5500. Itís my understanding that the system uses Optimus to automatically switch between the two.

I have spent hours searching the web for an answer but no luck yet. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

jwoods
    To be clear, are you saying the "same" Windows 8.1 login screen that you use the first time you sign in re-appears, or a totally different login screen?

New Lounger
    Thanks

logon signin screen comes up two or more times etc.

Hi jwoods,

Actually the first login screen I see is the one with my Microsoft Account. The second one I see usually shows all three accounts set-up on my computer (my Microsoft account, plus the two local accounts I set up).

Since I posted I went to Windows Updates and found an Intel Corp. Graphics Adapter Windows update (dated 3/31 I think) and installed it. I left the room just for a few seconds and came back to be greeted by the sign in screen showing all three user accounts, I logged in and was greeted by the black screen and then the sign in screen showing all three user accounts, logged in with my Microsoft account and I was good to go. Then I went to the control panel > System and Security > Find and fix problems. It indicated some software had not completely installed. I clicked on it thinking it would tell me what but that did not happen, but I assume whatever needed to finish installing did. I rebooted and had a normal sign in (no black screen). Again, this seems to be an intermittent error so I may take a day or two to know where I am at.

jwoods
    Thanks for the clarification.

Hopefully, "Find and fix problems" took care of it

If the issue does return, post the list of any security software you are actively using, besides McAfee.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will add what I hope is the final conclusion to this story. This intermittent problem just kept coming back. I talked to Lenovo Support twice and they did their best but no luck. The second support person I talked to mentioned Clean Boot. I told him I had tried that. (However, it did always seem like something was going on in the background but I just could not figure it out.) He changed my sign in account to not require a password. I asked him what I should do if problem continued. We discussed using the Lenovo One Key Recovery that would take my computer back to its factory installed state. Well the problem persisted and I went ahead and did the One Key Recovery. It’s like I have a new computer again (I just got it last month but that seems like a long time ago). Anyway, so far so good (but I still don’t know what happened—but I hope it’s over).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A point of order here.

I think it was outrageous for a Lenovo tech to suggest that a Lenovo BIOS update, offered by the Lenovo web site, could void your warranty! Seeing as this is clearly a 100% Lenovo offering, both suitable and appropriate for you as a Lenovo customer, such comments are flatly inappropriate. Are you listening Lenovo?

Many people don't believe in BIOS updates unless specifically indicated to correct a problem, but that's a support preference based upon a risk/reward calculation. And there is never a hint of a threat to your warranty status, based upon such calculations.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My problem continues after doing another clean boot (no luck) and a reset to the factory installation. I have kind of given up.
    Last edited by BeteB; 2015-05-13 at 23:03.

Thanks
    A little hint from the Lounge Rules that you might find useful:
    11. Document any critiques of specific companies
    If your post mentions a problem with a specific company's products or services, be sure to include solid and reproducible documentation of your remarks, such as a detailed description, screen shot, or photo of the problem. You, not the Lounge, will be responsible for defending your statements.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BeteB View Post
    My problem continues after doing another clean boot (no luck) and a reset to the factory installation. I have kind of given up.
    This article refers to Windows 7, but it looks applicable. https://social.technet.microsoft.com...w7itprogeneral

Do you have a password set on your screensaver? See if turning it off helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Funkchomper,

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I don’t use a screen saver so do not need to logon on when resume.

Yesterday I reset my power options to the default. At one point Lenovo Support had changed them but that did not fix issue. After doing a reset to the factory installation I assume the power options were set to the default but did reset them just in case there was anything causing problems there.

I have been keeping a log of the situation since May 1st. My computer has come up fine the last 4 days in a row. On May 22 it rebooted 4 times (asked to logon 4 times, etc.) before settling down. I don’t think I have ever gone an entire week without the problem appearing.

Since this is an intermittent error it is hard to troubleshoot.

I have started reading through the discussion on the link you provided. Other links are mentioned in the discussion too that may supply an answer. I will read through all of it. As I read through it I am starting to feel a little hopeful. I will report back as to the results when I know anything.

Many thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had previously tried the solution mentioned in the “Windows 7 Randomly Requiring to login twice” link mentioned by Funkchomper but it didn’t solve my issue. Actually sometime I am asked to log in twice, sometimes 3, 4, 5 or 6 times. Sometimes there is no problem. It is intermittent.

I unplugged my USB 3.0 hub and went 6 days without the problem but it reappeared on the 7th day. I also changed my McAfee Scan settings to run later in the morning because I thought McAfee might be interfering with logon. Again, things ran well for a few days, then problem reappeared.

If I stumble on the right combination and will post it on here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast