New Lounger
    Thanks

Word files lose Read-only setting when sent as email attachment

I teach and write manuals for a non-profit senior computer training program. The class work files are saved on the student computers as read only to ensure the starting files for exercises are not modified by students. We allow the students to download the files from our web site. Since I work off-site on manuals I frequently transmit the files as email attachments. At the receiving end the files no longer have the read only attribute. This is also true for the files downloaded as a zip package from our web page and unzipped. Is this removal of the read only attribute normal? It became obvious due to the way Word 2013 opens read only files. This is not critical, but we are curious about this. Those of use involved average 20 years or more of IT and/or PC support experience.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I made a copy of a file in my Word 2010 on Win7, used Windows Explorer to mark it as Read-only then sent it as an attachment using my Webmail to a second address. When I received the message and Saved the attachment the Read-only had been removed.

If I were doing it I'd save the document as a .pdf file for sending, can protect it better as to read-only or other permissions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    I teach and write manuals for a non-profit senior computer training program. The class work files are saved on the student computers as read only to ensure the starting files for exercises are not modified by students. We allow the students to download the files from our web site. Since I work off-site on manuals I frequently transmit the files as email attachments. At the receiving end the files no longer have the read only attribute. This is also true for the files downloaded as a zip package from our web page and unzipped. Is this removal of the read only attribute normal? It became obvious due to the way Word 2013 opens read only files. This is not critical, but we are curious about this. Those of use involved average 20 years or more of IT and/or PC support experience.
    It happens because the read-only attribute is stored in the Directory/folder structure on the disk rather than the file itself. When it's emailed there's nowhere for that information to be stored.

Regards
    Gordon