Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10--no choice about updates?

My local independent computer store is firmly against Windows 10 because they say that all updates will be forced on you, whether you want or need them, including the optional ones. Tell me it isn't so!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    No one knows for sure right now but that the indications are that is the direction Microsoft is going for non-business versions.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a problem MS is going to have to fix. I see a lot of posts where people are having problems with a bad MS driver replacing one that works on every update. They reinstall the driver and on next update MS reloads the bad one!
    Joe

Thanks
    It's hard to say what way MS will go with Windows 10 when it reaches RTM stage. As it is just a beta O/S at present it's understandable that they force all updates.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I will keep looking into Linux as a possible replacement. If there's something like Wine (for Mac computers to use Windows software) available for it, then I can keep my favorite Windows Programs--assuming there isn't a Linux substitute I like better. And certainly I can keep my desktop and laptop longer without needing to upgrade.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    You are better off in the long-term via the Upgrade & grabbing it whilst free is, certainly, timely & prudent.

Personally, have never had a WU cause an issue. Nor any such report or event from clients. I heard of it in Forums. Updates can, still, be removed. There are a number of good reasons for WU being auto and good things about it being that way. As for drivers... basically, if Device Mgr isn't whining, all is good.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42510

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    No one knows for sure right now but that the indications are that is the direction Microsoft is going for non-business versions.

Joe
    Any indications other than non-Microsoft commentators saying "likely" or "perhaps"? (based on .......... absolutely nothing.)

Bruce

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Joe,

My recollection is that it has been made clear, I thought by MS, that it is the MO going forward.

@ least from seminars, reading & f2f conversations, this is my understanding from MS. This is what has been conveyed to us as Partners. Have no reason to think it will change.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42514
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-04-03 at 20:49.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Strange how no one can quote any indication from Microsoft .......... unless .......... there hasn't been any.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Strange how no one can quote any indication from Microsoft .......... unless .......... there hasn't been any.
    Indeed.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Windows 10. Do great things.

Always up‑to‑date

"You won't have to wonder if you have the latest features or security updates. Windows automatically delivers updates, when they're ready, directly to your device." MS Windows Build Team

Had to think where to find or provide something (links or written on the Net), quickly. Much of what I garner comes from f2f stuff. And, yes, WU will fly solo & on auto-pilot.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42517
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-04-03 at 21:32.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Windows 10. Do great things.

Always up‑to‑date

"You won't have to wonder if you have the latest features or security updates. Windows automatically delivers updates, when they're ready, directly to your device." MS Windows Build Team

Had to think where to find or provide something (links or written on the Net), quickly. Much of what I garner comes from f2f stuff. And, yes, WU will fly solo & on auto-pilot.
    Nothing there says it won't be possible to decline or postpone a feature or update.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Well, you're quite right that's true. what is not written there it doesn't say, does it, now. Good point.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42519

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had update problems, and there's no way I'm going to allow MS to make me install things like Silverlight or Skype when I don't want them. It was bad enough when they gave us the update that phoned home to tell them your copy of Windows was legit. Once, OK. But randomly calling over and over? No way. I uninstalled KB71033. So if that's the way things happen, I will definitely be leaving the Windows platform when all support for Win 7 ends, if not sooner.

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry too much at this point.
    Even if MS does force updates, which is highly unlikely, there will always be a forthcoming hack.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast