Thread: PRN Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

PRN Files

I run Windows 8.1 OS.Recently when a download a text file those files have been sent to my computeras PRN files, which I am unable to print and otherwise cannot open from thedownloaded version.

What has happened?

Is it a problem with my computer?

Do I need a new driver?

How can I convert those PRN files to something that I can open and print?

jwoods
    This article may be of help...

http://filext.com/faq/print_from_prn_file.php

Thanks
    Is this any help?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you have downloaded the files they should still be text files but you have managed to give them a PRN extension. Try opening Notepad, select File > Open and navigate to one of the PRN files. If you get standard text then you have managed to rename the files upon download.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    The burning question though is how are you downloading these files?

Are they in .prn format to start with? Are you saving them as .prn?

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    If you have downloaded the files they should still be text files but you have managed to give them a PRN extension. Try opening Notepad, select File > Open and navigate to one of the PRN files. If you get standard text then you have managed to rename the files upon download.

cheers, Paul
    A PRN file is a binary file that is created by the originator when the printer port selected is FILE. It contains the instructions to the printer as well as the content.

In order for the other party to print it, they would need to know what kind of printer created it, and install the correct printer driver.

For example, I printed to the FILE printer port and created a .PRN file. Then, in a command prompt, I printed it to my network printer (the location for the PRN file was arbitrary).

copy c:\users\me\downloads\testprinterfile.prn /B \\network print server name\network printer name

This was an "old school" way of passing around PostScript files for printing, if you weren't connected to the originating printer.

It could very well have been posted online "as is"...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    They are PRN Format to start with.

I will give you an example;

I go to a website that has a periodic newsletter. In the past I have been able to access the newsletter, click on the print icon and it will be sent to my printer.

Now when I click on the print icon, I am required to save it to my computer. When I locate the saved file it has a PRN file extension and it will not print.

NOTE: I am finding this to occur on some other down loaded files. YEt my printer is otherwise able to print.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I thank all of you. I have learned something from each one of you. I have managed to print off my file. Now, I will continue to study the information that you have given me to see what more I can understand.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Gregory View Post
    I thank all of you. I have learned something from each one of you. I have managed to print off my file. Now, I will continue to study the information that you have given me to see what more I can understand.
    Glad you got it sorted Chaplain, welcome to the forum.