Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trouble with two optional upates: KB 3048778 and KB 3035583

Happy Easter everyone.

I have trouble from these two updates, KB 3048778, KB 3035583. But remember, they were noted as optional. I read one support document, learned nothing, but went ahead anyway. This time, trouble.

After installing, only Opera was able to connect to the internet. Firefox and IE could not. Ie. connecting .... never resolves.

After uninstalling the two updates, IE can connect, but Opera and Firefox can not.

Running 64-bit Win 8.1 Pro, regularly updated, on a HP 2000.

Will visit the Microsoft store later. I don't expect much of an answer.

Last time, after an 'recommended' update, all three browsers could not connect. At the store, they fixed it, but there was no explanation.

Due to the variety in browser behaviors, one wonders how much easier automatic updates can get. As for me, I'm happy, relatively, I can still connect. At least for now.

What have I learned from these two incidents? Have more than one browser.

Have a nice weekend.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dried_squid View Post
    Happy Easter everyone.

I have trouble from these two updates, KB 3048778, KB 3035583. But remember, they were noted as optional. I read one support document, learned nothing, but went ahead anyway. This time, trouble.

After installing, only Opera was able to connect to the internet. Firefox and IE could not. Ie. connecting .... never resolves.

After uninstalling the two updates, IE can connect, but Opera and Firefox can not.

Running 64-bit Win 8.1 Pro, regularly updated, on a HP 2000.

Will visit the Microsoft store later. I don't expect much of an answer.

Last time, after an 'recommended' update, all three browsers could not connect. At the store, they fixed it, but there was no explanation.

Due to the variety in browser behaviors, one wonders how much easier automatic updates can get. As for me, I'm happy, relatively, I can still connect. At least for now.

What have I learned from these two incidents? Have more than one browser.

Have a nice weekend.
    This morning it's an IMPORTANT update for me on Windows 7 64-bit. I think I'll stay away from it for a while. I see lots of problems on other forums.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fastoy For This Useful Post:

dried_squid (2015-04-05)

Ken Kashmarek
    When my Win7 system came up this morning, KB3035583 was listed as an important update. I clicked the link for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

Here is the title block:

"Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1"

The text of the web page actually says almost NOTHING about why this update is rated "important", except perhaps for Microsoft, as noted in the keywords line of the Properties section:

"Keywords: kbfix atdownload kbsurveynew kbexpertiseadvanced KB3035583"

This reflects NOTHING about the statement in the Status section.

Note the keyword "kbsurveynew". I suspect this change is only to invoke a survey prompt when you apply updates using Windows Update (or when Windows Update informs you about updates (if anybody has this installed successfully, please tell us how it behaves).

There is no statement about this change with regards to Win10. Thus, it is likely that some Win10 feature (???) is being retrofitted for Win7 & Win8.1. Or, maybe Windows Udate is being changed to behave like its not so similar counterpart in Win10. Brrrrr...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken Kashmarek For This Useful Post:

dried_squid (2015-04-05),P.A. (2015-04-05)

Thanks
    Friday, April 03, 2015
    This is a summary of the new and changed content to be released on Friday, April 03, 2015
    Changes to existing Non-Security Content:

Update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 (KB3035583)
    Metadata has changed.
    Binaries have not changed.
    This update does not need to be reinstalled.
    For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3035583
    ^ my bold above, it indicates (I think) that if you already have an older version of KB3035583 installed, you do not need to update it with the latest version.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2015-04-28),dried_squid (2015-04-05)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Happy Easter all. Or, if else-wise aligned, Happy Sunday.

Visited the Microsoft store Saturday. I was able to make an appointment in the store, and due to some happy circumstance, I was able to receive support immediately, ie. no wait.

The tech handled me well. Maybe because I look old enough to be his father or grandfather. I had my laptop and my notes with the two KB numbers. I mentioned I had noted the "optional", and decided to go ahead anyway.

His suggestion was to reinstall Norton Internet Security. He was willing to do it for me while I waited. I declined. He has resolved similar conditions before with a Norton Internet Security reinstall. I explained to him I would instead just wait a few days.

Additional info - After uninstalling the two updates, found an inconsistency. Opera now works under one user but not another. Opera works under my everyday standard user, but not my admin user. I don't use admin often so it's likely the last automatic update was different from my everyday standard user.

This leads me to believe that Norton Internet Security may not be the single cause. I have also considered that reinstalling Norton Internet Security may fix different problems across all users - I have two standards and two admins.

For now, since I have access to the internet through IE on one standard and one admin user, and IE and Opera on the standard user, I'm have elected to do nothing.

By the way, like Firefox, Chrome does not connect. I rarely open Chrome, it's likely not up to date.

What's next? First, look up my Symantec credentials. Then, wait it out a week or so, and maybe, reinstall Firefox. Meanwhile, monitor my Norton Internet Security automatic updates, maybe they will fix everything.

So that's where I'm at, electing to do nothing and waiting to see if the various automatic updates fix things, and if not, do fresh installs of the browsers by user.

It may be a while, a week or two, before I revisit this thread.

Take care.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    ^ my bold above, it indicates (I think) that if you already have an older version of KB3035583 installed, you do not need to update it with the latest version.
    Thanks satrow. Odd that it is, when I follow the link to support.microsoft.com/kb/3035583, I do not see anything like this. I asked the tech at the Microsoft store about the support link. I asked him why the KB document didn't provide anything to an everyday user like me. Like not what files it changed, but what features it changed or which problems it fixed. He agreed it didn't. I suggested to him that maybe such a change was to increase desire to move a stand-alone user to Software-as-a-service, or some other ?aas. He did not reply.

Could it be that satrow and dried_squid access different support docs? Actually, I don't want to know.

Take care.

Thanks
    The direct link to KB3035583 has overwritten the (relatively useful) original explanation. MS no longer give the version number of the page (indicative of the number of updates to the page/KB) either, given that some KB's are changed multiple times over a relatively short period, that's a very retrograde step imo.

EDIT: re. KB3035583, there's a partial breakdown here http://www.myce.com/news/windows-upd...nloader-75647/

My guess is that they're testing the waters for adding W10 to the Optional updates side of Windows Update ready for Release.
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-04-05 at 20:38.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2015-04-28),dried_squid (2015-04-06),P.A. (2015-04-05)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Happy Easter all.

Update - Able to connect again on all four browsers with standard and admin users.

Solution - Reinstalled Norton Internet Security. Thank you to Microsoft tech Kevin.

Note: Prior to the reinstall, tried reinstalling Firefox and Opera. Both attempts failed. No attempts with Chrome.

What have I learned?
    * Stay with Firefox and Opera.
    * Let Windows Updates take care of IE.
    * Continue to run two standard and two admin users. Allow browser automatic updates on my normal use standard and admin users.
    * My Windows Defender definitions were not updated since 2013. Probably when I began Internet Security. At the Microsoft store, I was told that after uninstalling Internet Security, Windows Defender would kick-in automatically. After a short pause, it did, but with 2013 definitions. Makes sense, it was turned off.
    * Some support links tried to used my default browser, Firefox, and failed. Previously, I seem to remember my default ignored and IE opened, that changed. (Or maybe it's just me. I seem to remember browser identification techniques have changed.)

Take care. Happy Sunday.

Thanks
    Take care. Happy Sunday.
    But it's Monday today.... [/pedant]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

dried_squid (2015-04-06)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    There is a revision number at the bottom of the KB articles in the Properties section.

Joe

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2015-04-28),dried_squid (2015-04-06)

Thanks
    Yes, this one is Last Review: March 27, 2015 - Revision: 1.0 - does that mean it's one version above the original? How many revisions have there been, how many reviews, what was the original date?

Here, Last review: January 14, 2014, Release Date: February 26, 2013 - yet I (and others) had it offered in November 2012. No mention of the number of versions, revisions of the details given - there were somewhere between 5 and 8 iirc! Some of those versions had other issues mentioned, nowhere to find out now what they were or whether they were resolved - I still have problems with this one - none of the issues currently indicated have ever applied to me.

We really need better information from MS about their updates, the garbage they feed us with currently simply isn't good enough.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2015-04-28),dried_squid (2015-04-06)

Thanks
    Since there are 2 threads related to KB3035583, I will link to my other post about an article explaining some of this.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...7959-Kb3035583

20. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

dried_squid (2015-04-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Solution - Reinstalled Norton Internet Security. Thank you to Microsoft tech Kevin.
    I had this same problem with Windows 8.1. I have Norton Internet Security as well. The problem didn't start after installing the update but only after Firefox updated to its latest release (37.0.1). I didn't have to uninstall and re-install Norton Internet Security but only had to go into its firewall settings and delete the Allow for Firefox.exe and then re-allow it. That fixed my problem. I suspect this would have worked for you as well.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JazzGuyy For This Useful Post:

dried_squid (2015-04-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
    I had this same problem with Windows 8.1. I have Norton Internet Security as well. The problem didn't start after installing the update but only after Firefox updated to its latest release (37.0.1). I didn't have to uninstall and re-install Norton Internet Security but only had to go into its firewall settings and delete the Allow for Firefox.exe and then re-allow it. That fixed my problem. I suspect this would have worked for you as well.
    I run four browsers and four users, and after uninstalling the two updates, one standard user ran Opera and IE okay while one admin user only ran IE. The difference was confusing. So I did the reinstall, all four browsers worked on the standard and admin user.

I will look for the "Allow for Firefox.exe" setting in Norton Internet Security. Thanks.