New Lounger
    Thanks

Internet connection down every 20 minutes

Hello, everyone

Today I asked my ISP to configure my modem/router as a bridge, and then connected a TL-WR541G (TP-LINK) router to manage ports and such.

Since then, after every 20 minutes Internet access goes down, I'm still connected (apparently) to the network, but with the exclamation mark and the legend: "No internet access" or "No network access". The only solution to this is to unplug the power supply, wait 10 seconds and plug it again. After that, Internet access is back. This generally happens every 20 mins, but it has lasted up to 1 hour with good connectivity before it goes down again.

The router has DHCP enabled, but I have a surveillance ip camera with an IP fixed to its MAC address (in order to let the port open correctly every time I reset the camera). The DHCP range, of course, doesn't include the ip fixed to the camera. Even so, I got a "two devices with the same IP" error a couple of times, even when this wasn't happening according to the connected devices list in the router configuration.

Modem: Motorola SBG901
    Router: TL-WR541G
    Connected devices: notebook (DELL Inspiron N4110, Windows 7), surveillance camera (TL-SC3171G), desktop PC, Tablet, 2 smartphones, Smart TV.

If any log or other information is required, please let me know.
    Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jwoods
    The lease is probably being renewed every 20 minutes...but it should not interrupt service.

I would get back on the phone with your ISP and have them fix it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    The lease is probably being renewed every 20 minutes...but it should not interrupt service.

I would get back on the phone with your ISP and have them fix it.
    Thank you for your answer, jwoods. Can I change the lease from the router configuration? or only the ISP can do this?
    Also, when I try the Windows troubleshooter, the "IP conflict" error shows up. Given the configuration I wrote in the first post, what could be causing this?

jwoods
    The Windows Troubleshooter can't tell you exactly what is wrong with the router because it can't do a deep dive into the device.

DHCP assigns addresses automatically, so you mentioned that "I have a surveillance ip camera with an IP fixed to its MAC address".

If DHCP tries to assign that IP address to another device, you will get the IP conflict.

I have 5 devices (wired and wireless) on a DHCP protocol network, and they all work fine.

Let the router assign the IP to the camera and that likely will resolve it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is this how you connected the TP-Link http://www.techsupportforum.com/3001...ional-routers/

With something like a camera it may be better to assign it a reserved IP address within the DHCP range.

You could enable DHCP for the camera to see which IP address it is assigned and then use that one as its reserved IP address in the router.

Some routers Connection Modes are default set to On Demand rather than to Always on and can cause disconnections how you have described.

If you only have a Time out set to minutes then change this to 0 but the usual default for that is 30mins.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15
    Is this how you connected the TP-Link http://www.techsupportforum.com/3001...ional-routers/
    Sudo15, thank you for your answer. My original modem/router (Motorola) is set as "bridge", so it's not working as a router anymore. All the configuration is made on the TP-LINK router.

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods
    Let the router assign the IP to the camera and that likely will resolve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15
    With something like a camera it may be better to assign it a reserved IP address within the DHCP range.

You could enable DHCP for the camera to see which IP address it is assigned and then use that one as its reserved IP address in the router.
    If I enable DHCP for the camera, I won't be able to open a port in the router for a specific IP (and I need to do that in order to watch the camera from outside my network).
    If I enable DHCP and set a reserved IP (the one already assigned by DHCP to the camera), what will happen when I reset the camera and DHCP tries to assign an IP to the camera? Will it use the reserved one again, even when it's not fixed to that MAC address?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you assign a device with a reserved IP address within the DHCP range, you have to use the MAC so that the router knows which device is being reserved and it's the router that remains the constant regardless of whether the camera is switched off or not.

Whenever the camera comes back on line it will always be assigned that address and it would be the same if the assigned address was outside of the DHCP range.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-04-05 at 19:01.