3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re-installing touchpad driver

I'm using Win 7x64 on an HP Envy laptop and am having problems with the touchpad. I can move the cursor up/down & left/right by dragging my finger on the touch pad, but sliding two fingers to move up or down a Web page or document does nothing. This is the second time in a week or so that this has happened.

There is also an intermittent problem with the Wacom driver, I frequently find the drawing tablet does not work after booting. This happens so often that I have the driver setup file on the Desktop so that I can simply doulbe-click to re-install. (It is not a problem with the driver, I've used this Wacom for years with XP & Win 7.)

But to get back to the touchpad... Since this driver issue looks like a "feature" of this machine I would like to be able to re-install the touch-pad driver too without having to contact Support. I could delete the driver using Device Manager, but once it is deleted how will I be able to re-install without any mouse or touch pad to move the cursor? Of course I should have the Wacom pen & tablet, but what if it doesn't load?!? Remember Murphy's Law?

David

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    David,

Once you have a copy of the driver create a shortcut on the desktop to run it making sure you create shortcut key to the shortcut!.
    DavidShortcutKey.JPG
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2015-04-04)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There should a be a Touchpad driver for your model that you can reinstall from HP support and I wouldn't uninstall it from Device Manager unless you had a mouse to substitute for it. http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/drivers.html

The reinstall should drop them in on top of the existing driver.

My Toshiba laptop has a number of options for the Flash Cards in the Toshiba folder in All Programs, have you checked the HP folder for anything similar ?

BTW - Not sure what you mean by sliding two fingers up, as on the rare occasions I use the touchpad, to move up or down the page I have to place the cursor at the top or bottom of the scroll bar and hold the left button.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-04-04 at 11:18.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2015-04-04)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you for your responses. HP Support has already re-installed this driver once, that was during a chat session by "remote control", and the agent did say that the corrupt version should be uninstalled first. So, since it has re-occurred I'm wondering if it is a "feature" of this machine, and it would be simpler to do the re-installing myself because there are times when I do not have an Internet connection. A valid version with a shortcut to the shortcut does seem like the way to go, thanks for that.

And Sudo15, the two-finger gesturing isn't obscene, this touch-pad works like a simple version of a touch-screen, slide up/down, or expand/contract. It is very convenient (when it's working), much more so than the scroll bar, and no smudges on the screen. Hate that!

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2015-04-04 at 11:59. Reason: Typo

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My touchpad isn't as new fangled as that

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The one on my wife's Asus is the same, and as I said you miss it when it's broke. And thank you RetiredGeek, the shortcut to the shortcut worked a treat.

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Get you and the wife a wireless mouse like I use - much less bother

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never been able to convince my wife to use the wireless mouse I got her. As for me I use a trackball with the desktop, way better than a mouse, but best of all is the Wacom tablet with a pen, vastly more versatile, and essential for Photoshop and video editing which I do a lot.