Thanks

Task Scheduler shortcut

I am trying to make a desktop shortcut to run a task. The shortcut command-line is

C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "ERUNT NuFogey Backup_040415"

But I keep getting errors.

What am I doing wrong here with this shortcut?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

jwoods
    You have to let the Task Scheduler know where and what the .EXE is to run ERUNT.

Thanks
    I'm not sure I understand. I set it up in Scheduler? And then what, disable it? Or, set it up to go, say, once a day, and then it will work "on demand"? Because it IS set up in Scheduler, and NOT disabled.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

jwoods
    In Task Scheduler, when you create a task...

1. You set up the Trigger (i.e run everyday at 12:00 PM)

2. You set up the Action (the full path and name of the program you want to run), and any parameters.

If I wanted to run ERUNT autobackup , the action would be "Start a program"...C:\ERUNT folder path\AUTOBACK.EXE

I'm not sure how helpful a *shortcut* to a scheduled task would be since you can run it on any schedule you want...automatically.

If you want to run it manually, I would put the ERUNT commands in a batch file, save it to your Desktop, and double click to run it. You may need to Run as Administrator.

Thanks
    My point to being able to run it on demand is to back up the registry whenever...specifically as I am installing several programs. I could run it with just a batch file I guess, but I was hoping to have one central place to initiate the program actions, that I could then "call from anywhere."

Chuck

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Chuck,

One can schedule a task but, not create a shortcut for that task (in Task Scheduler). Any Task in Task Scheduler can be run On demand. Sorry. It reckons if the Task is scheduled it doesn't need a shortcut.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42534

Thanks
    Yes, you can create a shortcut to a scheduled task (provided Task Scheduler in Windows 10 is fully functional).

Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    I am trying to make a desktop shortcut to run a task. The shortcut command-line is

C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "ERUNT NuFogey Backup_040415"

But I keep getting errors.

What am I doing wrong here with this shortcut?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    You're using the entire commandline in your shortcut, where you should be using only the task name from the General tab. Task Scheduler only needs to know the name of the task in your shortcut; the /tn switch is "task name".

Here are the particulars from How to Geek.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows