Thanks

How to control place in structure after folder deletion?

I am switching to Win 8.1 currently on a new machine. I have very organized hierarchical folder structures, which works for me.

Here's the problem: I might have some folder with 50 or more sub-folders in it. Whenever I delete a folder in file explorer, Win 8.1 positions me all the way back to the top of the folder structure. Which is annoying because I often want to be back to where I was in the hierarchy, so I have to scroll back down the folder structure. In my old WinXP system, the next folder was selected after deleting a folder (I just tried this to verify).

Is there a setting that control this that I am missing? I don't see anything in the standard File Explorer options.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Doesn't happen for me.
    Create directory.
    View directory, empty.
    Highlight directory.
    Press Del or right click and select Delete.
    Cursor drops to the directory immediately below the deleted directory, unless it's the last directory.
    No scrolling back to the top happening here.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Are you deleting from the Navigation Pane in Explorer? Deleting from within the Folders/Details Pane has behavior such as Paul T describes. Deleting from within the Navigation Pane has behavior such as you describe.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Are you deleting from the Navigation Pane in Explorer? Deleting from within the Folders/Details Pane has behavior such as Paul T describes. Deleting from within the Navigation Pane has behavior such as you describe.
    I am deleting from the navigation pane. Didn't have this problem in WinXP. So why is it cropping up now?

Thanks
    Deleting from the Folders/Details (right) Pane doesn't have that issue, only from the Navigation (left) Pane. I don't really use the Navigation Pane for anything other than navigating, so checking it today is my first encounter with this behavior. Perhaps someone else can shed some light.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows