New Lounger
    Thanks

windows 7 premium goes to loadup screen and briefly loads desktop ... then reboots to safe mode

I have a boot problem that just started a few days ago. I am unable to use my windows 7 64bit computer. For some reason it goes to the loadup screen and briefly goes to the desktop, then immediately goes black and reboots to the safemode screen or does a blue screen. Am using a usb with linux mint to browse the internet, so I don't believe it is a psu (power issue). Am also able to run dvds on this set up. I believe it is just using memory to run the mint os. I am using amd 2.9 x3 rana chip, msi 7770 amd video card with 8 gb of ram and a 1 tb seagate HD & antec 450 psu. Using Avast free & private firewall & malwarebytes for security.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
    g3b

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Does Windows start in Safe Mode?
    Did you change any software or hardware immediately before the problems?
    Are you able to run a disk test on the HDD from your Linux distro? Alternatively download something like Ultimate Boot CD.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-04-06)

Thanks
    If you can boot into Safe Mode, try the Clean Boot diagnostic procedure:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...?wa=wsignin1.0

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-04-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it does a BSOD then it is writing a error code to the minidump file. What is the error code(s)? Better, what does the initial error log say?

A good question was raised: Does Windows enter Safe Mode or always hang in it?

In Linux you should run the HDD test app (usually found in 'disk manager') as requested. It is the only hardware component you have not rule out via the Linux boot. I would not accept any "fix" offers until you back up whatever you don't want to lose.

If the clean boot works then it is either a Windows driver not currently loaded that loads in the normal boot or another driver.

If the boot does not work then it is a broken Windows install. Backup anything you do not want to lose before proceeding. SFC /scannow first. If that doesn't work then a repair install.

An example of the beginning BSOD error report would be somewhat like this:

Dump File : 072614-20311-01.dmp
    Crash Time : 7/26/2014 6:21:54 PM
    Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    Bug Check Code : 0x1000008e
    Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
    Parameter 2 : 0x82e839e5
    Parameter 3 : 0xb0b829c4
    Parameter 4 : 0x00000000

Caused By Driver : ntkrnlpa.exe
    Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+819e5
    File Description : NT Kernel & System
    Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    Company : Microsoft Corporation
    File Version : 6.1.7601.18409 (win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
    Processor : 32-bit
    Computer Name :
    Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\072614-20311-01.dmp
    Processors Count : 4
    Major Version : 15
    Minor Version : 7601
    Dump File Size : 144,920
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-04-06 at 21:45.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Did open the HDD utility in linux everything was good. Will try running a clean boot tomorrow.
    Thanks again for your speedy replies.

g3b

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you can boot into the Advanced Boot options, you can either try Last Known Good Configuration or Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment to use the Startup Repair option.

If at first the Startup Repair reports an auto failure, then it's advised running that up to three times, rebooting after each.

BlueScreenView will read the dump file for you and let you know if it's a driver problem where no doubt Satrow will help you with the BSOD, but you may have to open a new thread for that if he doesn't pick that up in this thread. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-04-07 at 06:55.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have got a spare video card laying around...Memory test was good, ran from Mint distro, harddrive as well. According to live mint my video card was working properly as well. Looks like a clean install.
    Thanks again.
    g3b

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How can I get windows to recognize that I have a discrete video card? When I did the reinstall it diverted to the onboard video card. Went into the bios & the pci-e was enabled. Do I need to physically take the card out of the slot & re-insert it?

Thanks
    g3b

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows should detect additional cards and attempt to load the correct drivers. To see if the card has been detected open Device Manager (Start > Run, devmgmt.msc) and look under Display Adapters. You may find a device with a yellow exclamation mark, which means Windows cannot load the correct drivers, either because of hardware issues or not being able to find the drivers.

cheers, Paul