Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will this computer qualify for the upcoming free Windows 10 upgrade after upgrading to Win7?

My son has a
    Dell Inspiron 1545 Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit laptop
    Belarc reports the following information
    2.15 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual 2 cores 2 logical processors 64-bit ready Multi-core (2 total)
    160GB HDD ST9160310AS / 3GB RAM

We plan to upgrade it to Windows 7
    --- Im recommending to him to replace the 160GB hard drive with an SSD, which then means well have to do a fresh Win7 install

With free upgrades to Windows 10 being reported for Windows 7 computers will it be possible to do so or even worth considering?

jwoods
    See this Computerworld article...

http://www.computerworld.com/article...0-and-how.html

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks jwoods. I hadn't read that article yet but I have read some similar ones.

I think I should have mentioned is what are going to be the minimum system requirements for Windows 10 as there isn't a Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor available that I can find; or on any of the other websites I checked out

My concern is that my sons laptop only has 2.15 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual 2 CPU and can handle only 4GB
    --- Now that I think of it, even if the computer meets minimum specs I'm going to advise me son I'm not in favor of upgrading if only minimum system requirements are met: to me meeting minimum requirements results in minimum performance

jwoods
    If Windows 8.1 will run on your machine, Windows 10 will, according to Microsoft.

Use the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...oad-online-faq
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-07 at 00:00.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-07)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running Win10 Pro TP on a Dell Inspiron 530S Desktop that came with Vista from 2008 with a 2.2GHz CPU and 4GB RAM. I resurrected it from a failed HDD so Win10 is a clean install.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-07)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    If Windows 8.1 will run on your machine, Windows 10 will, according to Microsoft.

Use the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...oad-online-faq
    This ^ is a good point.

I will point out there are MANY reports of Win10 running quite nicely on old(er), not very robust machines. There is nothing wrong w/ a Core Duo & 4GB RAM. Win10 is light weight & has a small footprint, is not resource demanding & handles resources (CPU & RAM) well. Matter of fact my own Win10 is a 2 Processor, 4GB RAM vm and it just flies and will multi-task like crazy.

And Berton's example is spot-on & speaks directly to this issue very well.

Of course, you could buy Windows 10 and clean install it where Vista used to be and never mind taking Vista to 7. Just another option. Either way uses the existing computer, instead of buying a new Win10 machine.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42568
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-04-09 at 04:36.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-09)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone, your advice is well appreciated. I just picked up a Vista desktop and restored it to factory conditions and it runs as good as new

I just read
    Before you install http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq and am considering it's advice: don't use a primary computer for now. Well the Vista desktop is a spare computer for me right now.
    --- However, I thought Windows 10 wouldn't be upgradeable directly onto a Vista computer but sounds like I could: is that true?
    --- Or how can I clean install Windows 10 onto this Vista computer?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    "--- However, I thought Windows 10 wouldn't be upgradeable directly onto a Vista computer but sounds like I could: is that true?
    --- Or how can I clean install Windows 10 onto this Vista computer?"

I am happy to answer you.

Part 1... No, it is not true. One cannot do an in-place Upgrade from Vista to Win10. Only clean.

Ergo, brings us to

Part 2... Download the Win10 TP ISO. Currently that would be for Build 10041 and it is available HERE. Then burn the ISO to DVD. W/ Vista you will need ImgBurn to do this. Vista will not, natively, direct burn ISOs. Insert the DVD & fire up the computer... when the screen says Hit any key to boot from CD/DVD... do it. Chose Custom Install (clean) NOT Update! When you arrive @ the window showing the drive to chose for the install (it will be showing Vista on it, STOP... Click on Format & format the drive before proceeding to, actually, install. Once it's Formatted (now Vista is gone) now go ahead & install on the drive that HAD Vista on it. The Win10 bare bones install will take about 15 minutes.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42575
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-04-09 at 11:45.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-09)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    "--- However, I thought Windows 10 wouldn't be upgradeable directly onto a Vista computer but sounds like I could: is that true?
    --- Or how can I clean install Windows 10 onto this Vista computer?"
    As my post mentioned, it was a clean install on the Vista computer, had to replace a failed HDD.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-09)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your answers. The reason I had to bring up my questions is because I did not know where to get the Windows 10 install OS from but now I know

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Well cool then there you go, eh?

Cheers,
    Drew

Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "As my post mentioned, it was a clean install on the Vista computer, had to replace a failed HDD" Thanks, Berton. I just reviewed what has been covered so far. I have an SSD replacement drive on order and will be received in a few days. So I will be replacing a good hard drive and doing a clean install on the new SSD drive.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome, sounds like a good plan. You can reformat and use that HDD for storage. When I junk a computer I save any good HDDs, use an external connection to my computer and delete any partitions, reuse them later, got about a dozen on the shelf even some from Notebooks/Laptops. My procedure also allays fears of clients not wanting their information out and about.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-16)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "You can reformat and use that HDD for storage." Wow, you are reading my mind. I don't know how to do that yet but that is my intention for that hard drive and I'll be requesting help when that time comes.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Instead of installing the Windows 10 Preview on my son's laptop I want to consider installing it on
    HP Compaq-Presario SR5710F Vista HP SP2 32-bit desktop
    2.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon Dual Core 64-bit ready Multi-core (2 total)

Running the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant reports 5 items

1. Install an app to play DVD’s
    --- According to Windows 10 information
    --- Which app would I want to access in the Windows Store?
    --- Would I have to pay for it?

2. Sidebar gadgets aren’t supported in Windows 8
    --- I suppose I could live without sidebar apps

3. Secure boot isn’t compatible with your PC
    --- Even though I have read about Secure Boot I don’t have any idea on how to use it and I suppose I could live without this also

4. Your screen resolution isn’t compatible with snap
    --- If it’s possible change your resolution to at least 1366x768 to snap apps
    --- The monitor’s resolution I have is 1280x1024
    --- What is snap?

5. Hardware diagnostics tools: PC-Doctor Inc. Go to the app website for help
    --- “Go to the app website for help”
    --- What kind of help am I to look for?

Since Insider Preview expires on October 1, 2015 what happens after that?
    --- Will I have to pay in order to continue using Windows 10?
    --- If I can get Windows 10 to run ok on this computer, I want to be able to do so through it’s complete lifecycle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast