Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Looking for a program that retains drive content list after unplugged

In other words a program that will still list the contents of an external drive, usb drive, heck even disk after it has been removed. Just like a folder index or something along those lines. I would think even a screen capture on root at drive removal would suffice. Anyone heard of anything like that? If I knew a damn thing about programming, I would design it LOL

Thanks
    Why reinvent the wheel. W7/8 have the Snipping Tool, or just use PrtScn.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanx for trying, but i was looking for an answer that wouldn't be manually doing it everytime. So how about a viable index created for every drive inserted, and maintained upon removal. i suppose you don't use as many drives as i do, but i swap drives all the time.
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2015-04-07 at 12:07. Reason: Removed derogatory comments.

Thanks
    Back in the DOS days I had one that did just that with floppies, remember them?
    Sorry but I don't recall the name, it may have been one of Nancy's Utilities but she has been gone for a while now. RIP
    I would search a few of these for "Disk Utilities":
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/
    http://www.nonags.com/
    Last edited by RussB; 2015-04-07 at 11:52.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    i am fairly sure the prt scrn button has worked a lot longer then just windows 7
    Yes, it has. With DOS and Windows 3.1 and earlier it did send the screen contents to the printer but Windows 95 changed that and sends the contents to the Clipboard, makes it available for a number of programs and their Paste function. A downside of PrntScrn is it won't get a complete list, only what's on the screen.

I've always opened a Command Prompt window in the drive or Folder I want a list from then type DIR /O/S>x:\FolderName\dir.txt [or a different name so one didn't overwrite another]. Hold down the Shift key while right-clicking a Drive or Folder name to get the choice of Command WIndow Here.

I then get a list Organized by name and including subFolders that I can read or manipulate as desired. That was also a change with Win95, Directories of DOS were renamed to Folders. The x:\ indicates a different drive/Folder from what is being indexed.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-04-07 at 11:53.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Aww, DOS days....yes, i of course remember that and the nice 5.25" floppies.....same basic idea (i don't recall a way to catalog each ones contents then) but that is exactly what would be perfect. This seems to be a fairly simple thing a program could do, I am surprised no one else would want something like that with the amount of usb drives people own now (my desire is more for my externals i use for media, but same difference.)

Thanks
    I came across Karen's Directory Printer several years ago and just remembered it. Its still available and it works in all versions of Windows from XP on including W8. It will either print or save to disk.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...y_printer.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx, I'll check it out. Sounds, sorta like what I mean. Was thinking a bit more automated,but I suppose it cuts out a few steps of copy/paste manually with snipit/snagit type stuff.

Thanks
    Have you looked at Everything? It's a program found at http://www.voidtools.com/. It's very powerful and you can do simple filters. It's much better than indexing and you can export the info to a what seems to be a CSV file, which you can then import into a spreadsheet and manipulate. I'm always amazed how quickly it can find any file you want.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    voidtools doesn't really seem like what i was thinking of. was more or less thinking plug in drive, program records contents into a file? screenshot? database? something along those lines. this would be retained after the drive is removed for later reference.

Thanks
    Fairynuff. It would need some action by you. On the other hand it's remarkably quick at producing a list e.g. I got all the files on my F drive just by typing 'F:' (no quotes) in the search box. I then exported them into the CSV file I mentioned.

Hope you find what you want.
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2015-04-08 at 09:06. Reason: Bit more info

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds useful enough though, I will check it out. Was thinking the more automatic way (ok, yes, lazy way) instead of saving a file/screencap everytime i use a drive. (such as moving files around to certain drives put in and out of a dock all the time, which is what i do)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    was more or less thinking plug in drive, program records contents into a file?
    That brings to mind the autorun feature on CDs/DVDs. It tells the computer to either play a movie or to prompt to run an install routine. Probably could create one to send commands to the computer though I haven't tried it yet.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not aware of anything like this in the PC space, at least not as a fully automatic, integrated solution. It's like you want persistent directory caching to support offline use.

In the mainframe space there used to be a product that was kinda, sorta like this. HSM would automatically migrate unused files to larger, slower and cheaper storage media, and eventually offline. It would leave behind link objects and to the user, the file looked and acted entirely normal. However it would take longer to access as HSM automatically retrieved it.

Here's a possible solution. Why not try creating a symbolic link to the root directory of each drive you have? The symlink will tolerate an offline device, and the number of drives is probably small enough and stable enough to allow this. You may have to give each drive a unique label. However will the symlink persistently cache the last known folder structure on that device? That I do not know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...94(WS.10).aspx

Unfortunately, I cannot provide very good syntactically correct examples. The MkLink command is only available on Windows Vista and higher, and I'm currently on an XP system.

Also, the reference to the removable drive is going to be tricky to get right. You don't want to use drive map letters as those are dynamic. Perhaps some variation on the URL syntax "file://USB Label"? Or perhaps use UNC name rules ("\\SystemName\USB Label")?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    J.M.,

See post #16 in this thread and see if it meets your needs. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast