Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot access 192.168.1.1

Hi,This is my first post, so please be kind if the post is not placed in the right location.My home gateway / vivid wireless "4G" account is a few years old, but it seems that the speed is getting slow more often, which is quite frustrating.Looking on the forum, it is recommended to have a look at RSSI and CINR parameters, so I tried to logon to 192.168.I.I as recommended, but got a fail -1 error when entering logon details. Can you please help?Thanks.
    Last edited by xnil223; 2015-04-13 at 13:37.

Thanks
    First make sure that you are using a good Browser, then turn off your fire wall and any pop-up blockers and try again.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to logon to 192.168.I.I as recommended
    That should be 192.168.1.1 as shown in the Subject line. That is your Router. You may have set a password or changed the default. The IP address changes according to the brand but put the word ipconfig in a Command Prompt window to see what yours is. If there is a password/passphrase the Router usually can be Reset [button/switch on the back or bottom] to restore to its defaults. Do it from an Ethernet-connected computer, not Wi-Fi as some won't allow it.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There is no guarantee your router is at address 192.168.1.1.
    1. Open a Command Prompt.
    2. Enter the following: ipconfig /all
    3. Read the IP address of the DHCP Server.
    4. Enter that IP address in your browser.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Google your router's make and model. Chances are it's not at 1.1

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many routers cannot be accessed via wifi connection--which is a wise security precaution--use an Ethernet connection.

Try these three instead: 192.168.1.0 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.0

jwoods
    Easy, peasy way...

Download and install the free program Belarc Advisor...

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

When you run the program, check the Communications section of the report.

It will show you the information you need.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-09 at 17:33.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The easiest way to determine the Default Gateway has already been suggested by Paul T in executing the command ipconfig /all.

While my current router uses 192.168.1.1 my spare router uses 192.168.1.254, so guessing what it could be could have you going around in circles.

As the OP hasn't been back since the opening post, perhaps we can assume the correct log in has been found - if not inputting the correct one was the problem.

If however using the correct Default Gateway still doesn't work, then rebooting the router would generally resolve.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-04-09 at 19:14.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    The easiest way to determine the Default Gateway has already been suggested by Paul T in executing the command ipconfig /all.

While my current router uses 192.168.1.1 my spare router uses 192.168.1.254, so guessing what it could be could have you going around in circles.

As the OP hasn't been back since the opening post, perhaps we can assume the correct log in has been found - if not inputting the correct one was the problem.

If however using the correct Default Gateway still doesn't work, then rebooting the router would generally resolve.
    Actually, depending on how many adapters you have, ipconfig /all can scroll off important information in the command prompt....so it's not always "easy" to get the information you need.

It would be more useful (and "easier") to direct the output to a text file on your Desktop, which is searchable...

>ipconfig /all > "%userprofile%\Desktop\ipconfigdetails.txt"

Sounds like you're not familiar with Belarc Advisor.

No guessing with its results either.

Even if the OP doesn't return, the thread might be helpful to someone else with a similar issue.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I am familiar with Belarc Advisor and have it installed, but why direct the file anywhere when the ipconfig /all output will clearly display the Default Gateway IP address.

Are you also assuming that Paul T is also unfamiliar with Belarc Advisor ?

And I think sufficient info has been given for any Goggle Spiders to pick this thread up, but when you Google for this info most tutorials will direct you to the command prompt to enter ipconfig /all.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-04-10 at 05:55.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Actually, depending on how many adapters you have, ipconfig /all can scroll off important information in the command prompt....so it's not always "easy" to get the information you need.

It would be more useful (and "easier") to direct the output to a text file on your Desktop, which is searchable...

>ipconfig /all > "%userprofile%\Desktop\ipconfigdetails.txt"

Sounds like you're not familiar with Belarc Advisor.

No guessing with its results either.

Even if the OP doesn't return, the thread might be helpful to someone else with a similar issue.
    That's a bit of an error prone syntax and you do get a scrollbar with the command prompt window.
    Personally I'd rather use ipconfig /all | more, which allows you to control scrolling at the speed you desire.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I suppose if you wanted to stick it somewhere for clarity you output it directly to Notepad with this command ipconfig /all > 0 & notepad 0 but by the time Belarc has done an audit of the system, you could have already have gotten the info required from ipconfig /all.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I am familiar with Belarc Advisor and have it installed, but why direct the file anywhere when the ipconfig /all output will clearly display the Default Gateway IP address.

Are you also assuming that Paul T is also unfamiliar with Belarc Advisor ?

And I think sufficient info has been given for any Goggle Spiders to pick this thread up, but when you Google for this info most tutorials will direct you to the command prompt to enter ipconfig /all.
    I am "assuming" there is more than one way to do things...I mentioned two, one that simply expands on the ipconfig /all suggestion.

The advantage of Belarc is that it shows that information in a easy-to-read, single-page report, which may be more productive for a novice user. In that case, the "extra time" (2-3 minutes?) it takes to run it doesn't outweigh the benefit.

Regardless of the method, outputting the results can be helpful.

If someone were seeking help outside of the back and forth in a forum thread, they could easily email the output for assistance.

If all the users you support are comfortable with the command-line-only output...great.

Not everyone I support is.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    That's a bit of an error prone syntax and you do get a scrollbar with the command prompt window.
    Personally I'd rather use ipconfig /all | more, which allows you to control scrolling at the speed you desire.
    I'm curious as to what is "error prone" in the syntax.

ipconfig /all > "%userprofile%\Desktop\ipconfigdetails.txt"

Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Typing long command lines can result in errors - not everyone knows how to paste into a Command Prompt.

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast