Lounger
    Thanks

System Idle Process

Hi folks - new Lounger hoping for a word of advice. Can anyone tell me why the System Idle Process is accessing my laptops hard drive once every second? Please tell me this isn't a "feature", though it happened on my old Toshiba Satellite Pro, on my recently-departed (courtesy of an errant can of ginger ale) ThinkPad i1562, and it just started happening on my new Toshiba Portege, the ThinkPad's replacement.

I've been reloading applications on the Portege over the last couple of days, and suddenly this morning (while installing the scanner driver) the hard drive started ticking like a grandfather clock, once a second, regular as... well, clockwork. Checking the Task Manager shows the System Idle Process as the only active process, racking up one second of cpu time every second, right in sync with the hard drive access sound. What gives? Surely this can't be good for the drive, let alone my battery life?

Thanks for any advice.

Jon

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Idle Process

System idle process is running only when NOTHING is running, another words, that's what computer doing when it's doing nothing. Of course, it's in sync with something accessing your hard drive, because at this time idle process is NOT running. Don't blame the mirror...
    If you installed Microsoft Office, the most suspicious is Find Fast utility. Anyway, check what's loaded at startup. Good luck.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Idle Process

Thanks for the help in focusing on the root cause! It wasn't FindFast, which I haven't installed, but it WAS "something in the Start-Up folder". I used Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel to see what was there, and broke one of the cardinal rules of troubleshooting by disabling more than one thing at a time, but that incessant hard drive "tick" did go away. Looking over the changes I made, it was either the excessively user-friendly Epson Smart Panel that controls the scanner, or an odd little utility called pinger.exe that came pre-loaded with the laptop (Toshiba Portege). No idea what it does/did, no reference to it in the documentation. Ah well; it's quiet now. Many thanks!