Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

New External Drive for Backups

Hi, I just got my first external drive. I plan to use it specifically for backups. It's a Seagate and has its own software and UI for back ups and recovery. My question to the Lounge is.... should I use Windows 7 backup and restore , or should I use the Seagate UI....and why? Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "It's a Seagate and has its own software and UI for back ups and recovery"
    --- At this time this appears to me that's for data backups
    --- Does it include image backups without having to pay for that feature?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It appears to handle only data backup, but does provide for continuous backup, on the external drive or in the cloud or both. There's no mention of drive imaging.

Thanks
    Macrium is highly recommended by many, and some of us use Acronis True Image. Research the "look and feel" of both free and fee, decide, download, and as one person put it:
    Backup, backup, backup; I add: periodically test via restore of a folder and a few files.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not an expert in this area but I suspect Seagate does have imaging back up software but it's probably a paid feature

I use the Windows 7 create a system image utility on one of my Win7 computers
    and Macrium Reflect Free on my other Win7 computer for a backup system image. I have also tested them to restore without any problems
    --- However since I haven't had a crashed computer problem I do not know which one is better to have available; someone else will have to chime in on that
    --- I suspect paying for a system image backup can be beneficial though because customer service can be contacted if necessary

I have a WD external hard drive to save my backup system images for each of my computers

Backing up your data is just as important
    --- Consider saving your backed up data on more than one external media
    --- In addition to my external hard drive, my data is also saved on a 64GB flash drive plus my retired offline XP computer which is at my brothers house
    --- If I did run into a serious computer problem my data is always available for me to recall depending on the issue at hand

Edit: I just noticed Roland's post and I'm in complete agreement with it
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2015-04-08 at 21:48.

Thanks
    lol

lol

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Read my Signature Line, that I've had for Years.

With an external (USB) hard drive, your backup options are many and varied.

As well as the programs already mentioned, there are several more, and some can be had for FREE! I like FREE!

I've been setting up Backup schemes for people, businesses, and Corporations for almost 30 years. (and one bank)

In 1997 I fell in love, with a Backup program from a little known company in New Zealand. It was simply called Ghost.
    In 1998 Symantec Corp. bought the program and only did some minor updates to it, retaining its DOS functionality till about 2005 when they abandoned DOS and went with the Windows versions.

Well, me, being old school, I still use that last DOS version. Ghost 11.5 will work to backup any OS from 98 to Windows 10, even Linux and Servers.

But the key is to never have your backup and restore software on your hard drive.... because when that drive crashes, you've not only lost all your data, but you've also lost your restore program which will be needed to restore your last Backup Image File to a new hard drive. Of course, that Backup Image File, MUST be safely stored on some External drive.

Your backup program MUST be on some bootable media.... either a CD or Flash Drive that can boot up your system. I have my Ghost program on both CD's and Flash Drives (several copies, for safety).

Several backup programs, when you install them on your PC, will offer to make the Emergency Restore CD for you. Don't wait...do that ASAP, because you never know the day or hour that your HD will shoot craps (crash). Acronis True Image and Todo Backup will make the Recovery CD or Flash Drive for you.

Now for the simple data backup, which I run daily or as often as needed, I just use a DOS Batch File, that can copy all my data to an external Hard drive and/or Flash Drive.
    Using the old DOS XCOPY program and the proper switches, my data backup takes only a few seconds, because it backs up only files that are new, or have been changed since the last backup. I even back up all my saved email, address book and even my Firefox bookmarks. I try to back up everything that I really don't want to loose if my C: drive messes up on me.

Those who refuse to learn any DOS, like how to write a simple batch file, are missing out on much of the "PC Experience".

There are many lines to my Data Backup batch file, but here is the one line that backs up My Documents and all its sub-directories:
    xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Alexi\My Documents\*.*" "F:\My Documents\" /S /Y /H /R /D

Of course, you can't use that same path, as your own computers path will be different. And even the output drive letter will probably be different on Your PC.
    The first time that program is run, every file in the path will be copied, so that can take a few minutes, but subsequent backups only take a few seconds, since only new or changed files will be added to the backup. It's a very quick and efficient (cheap and dirty) way to keep all my data files backed up. I actually back up to both a 1TB external hard drive, and an external Flash Drive. Both are USB 3.0, for the speed.

I'm sorry this post ran so long, but doing efficient backups is not and cannot ever be a 'one liner'.

Cheers Mates,
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2015-04-09 at 09:47.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-09)

Thanks
    "Experience is truly the best teacher."
    Ben Franklin is rumored to have actually indicated:
    Experience is a dear teacher, and a fool learns from no other school.

Charlie Brown sigh here.
    I remember the olde days of DOS, by candlelight, wearing white-powdered wigs... I used Norton Ghost for some time until it balked at FAT32, NTFS, etc. I switched to Acronis True Image and been using it ever since.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-04-09 at 11:37.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also use a batch file to backup my data (just a simple one) as I'm not an expert at DOS or whatever its called in todays world. Creating simple batch files is more than useful for the task at hand.
    --- However I use copy instead of xcopy. It was quite a few years ago I attempted to use xcopy and for some reason I couldn't; I don't recall why
    --- But copy works fine and if a serious issue happens on any of my computers I know the data is still retrievable even if the hard dive crashes or any one of my computers need to be replaced

EDIT: I also have a DOS for Dummies book that comes in very handy
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2015-04-09 at 11:27.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would use either Easus Todo, Paragon or Macrium Reflect free versions as a starting point as they do image backup as well as data.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...backup-program

cheers, Paul

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-09)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used a program called Second Copy for my data backups. It is not free but you can try it out for free. Once you get the hang of it, it is easy to use and uses standard Windows copy procedures. You can also create a compressed backup file.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    However I use copy instead of xcopy.
    My dear sir, you have missed out on the delights of Microsoft's now-built-in command line utility Robocopy - more switches than you can throw a stick at, but immensely powerful once you've grasped their functions!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-10)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Batcher you are correct. I wasn't aware of "Microsoft's now-built-in command line utility Robocopy" and I'm adding it to my project list

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Robocopy is the ant's pants!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    There are a few Windows batch programs in my library - some do backups. I use the one that backs up personal files using Robocopy (Windows program). Once it's working as you like, then create a task in "Task Scheduler" to run daily, and set it to run at startup if missed. Most other default settings should work, but I think I had to change the login setting. http://web.ncf.ca/pat/pdqlib

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So, getting back to the original question, and after much talk about the many backup programs, are we to assume as I have, that the Windows 7 Backup & Restore program is no good? I've been using it for years and thought I was safe until now. One (another) question that I don't think has been addressed is - will a Ransomed main hard drive infect an external USB backup drive when it's plugged in? This may be a question for another thread though. Yikes, I'm getting a headache.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast