5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wish to continue to use Microsoft Office Standard 2007

My son has a Dell Inspiron 1545 Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit laptop
    Belarc reports the following information
    2.15 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual 2 cores 2 logical processors 64-bit ready Multi-core (2 total)
    160GB HDD ST9160310AS / 3GB RAM and we plan on upgrading (maybe fresh installing) it to Windows 7

He uses Microsoft Office Standard 2007
    --- If we upgrade will it be necessary to uninstall Microsoft Office Standard 2007be before starting the upgrade procedure?

We are going to consider replacing his hard drive with an SSD hard drive for faster performance which would involve a fresh Win7 install
    --- In this case will it be necessary to uninstall Microsoft Office Standard 2007 before removing
    the 160GB HDD ST9160310AS?
    --- And I believe we should then be able to then install the Microsoft Office Standard 2007 once the new SSD hard drive an fresh Win7 is completed. Is that true?

jwoods
    I would download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=20

It should tell you if any programs need to be re-installed, as well as if there are any hardware incompatiblities, or programs that won't run on Windows 7.

After doing that, I would clean up the HDD and then do a disk image, and then restore it to the SSD when it's installed.

You could then just upgrade in place from Vista to Windows 7...unless you want to start from scratch.

If the Windows 7 upgrade doesn't go well for some reason, and you need to start over, you have a good Vista disk image to restore from.

This Microsoft tutorial has some good information on upgrading from Vista to Windows 7...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ustom#T1=tab01
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-09 at 00:48.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-09)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reminder about the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
    On the system image, I like to use Macrium Reflect Free
    But if my son does decide to go along with the SSD idea, will the MR Free restore the Vista system image onto the hard drive as its dissimilar hardware?

I have done some Vista upgrades to Windows 7 but not on a changed hard drive

jwoods
    It appears from Macrium's Knowledge Base that you can restore to an SSD.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...e+from+Windows

However, the free version does not containt the "SSD Trim Option", so with further research, you may find you need to purchase a version that does...

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-09)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Going back to the original question, it is not necessary to uninstall Office before upgrading the operating system, regardless of whether you keep the old drive or move to an SSD. When you uninstall Office 2007, it doesn't "report back" to Microsoft to free up the license or anything like that.

If you do an in-place upgrade, Office doesn't really notice that at all, it just keeps working. If you have to do a wipe-and-clean-install, Office will probably re-activate over the Internet the same as when it was first installed, unless you've changed more things in the computer than just the OS. If necessary, though, you can use telephone activation (the dialog should tell you the phone number to call), and you'll get a new product key.

Office 365 is different -- you use your account web page to install and uninstall Office, activating and deactivating licenses -- but not Office 2007.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jjfreedman For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-09)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Office 2007 activation works the same way as Windows activation; providing it's on the same machine (with not too many hardware changes), it will just activate straight away. And even if it doesn't, it's just a five-minute phone call.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-09)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It makes sense to me. The computer hasn't seen any hardware changes. I just wanted to make sure that I'd go though everything and find out after the fact I should have uninstalled it