Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Backup

I was trying to do a backup to an external drive with 2.6tb free space. My backup consisted of 366gb's of data. I unchecked the system image box for the windows 7 backup. I just wanted my data backed up. The backup took all night and at the end I got a dialog box stating there was not enough space.

I was backing up my documents, music, photos.

What would windows be doing to make the backup so large?

Thanks,

Mike

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Not sure we can answer that. What has been suggested repeatedly is to replace Windows backup with a good, free, 3rd party backup.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...backup-program

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesteve View Post
    I was trying to do a backup to an external drive with 2.6tb free space. My backup consisted of 366gb's of data...
    Win7 cannot properly access partitions larger than 2TB.

You could resize the existing partition on the external drive down to less than 2TB then create a new partition in the resulting unallocated space.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Win7 cannot properly access partitions larger than 2TB.

You could resize the existing partition on the external drive down to less than 2TB then create a new partition in the resulting unallocated space.
    If the disk is formatted as GPT, Windows 7 can access a partition greater than 2 TB.

From:https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib..._faq_win7_boot
    Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.

Jerry

jwoods
    I personally use Beyond Compare from Scooter Software to just backup files and folders that change between disk images...

http://www.scootersoftware.com/