2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Newsletter pop-up ad

When I log on, get a screen relating to subscribing to a newsletter which states "Let us guide you through: how to get the most out of your computer; how to get your devices together;how to keep you safe online and more .. subscribe FREE to our weekly newsletter". I don't know if this is a "come or" a legitimate offer. Whatever it is, I'd like to get rid of this constantly occurring "Pop up". Any ideas?

Thanks
    Run Msconfig.exe. Click on the startup tab and look for anything obvious to disable. If you don't see anything obvious, disable everything, reboot and see if you still see the popup. If no popup, enable things in groups until you find the culprit.

I would also download and run Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org) and adwcleaner (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/)

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lodidad1 View Post
    When I log on, get a screen relating to subscribing to a newsletter which states "Let us guide you through: how to get the most out of your computer; how to get your devices together;how to keep you safe online and more .. subscribe FREE to our weekly newsletter". I don't know if this is a "come or" a legitimate offer. Whatever it is, I'd like to get rid of this constantly occurring "Pop up". Any ideas?
    Assuming that you mean log on to this site, yes, this is a legitimate offer to subscribe to the Windows Secrets Newsletter. I've seen it on occasion, also, even though I am a subscriber to the newsletter. But quite often, I stay logged in because I visit frequently throughout most days.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

jwoods
    This is the Windows Secrets ad...

Windows Secrets Ad.png

I only see it if I am not logged in to the forum.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    We have no control over the ads (or the claims in the ads) displayed on the site. They are the responsibility of the owners.

Joe

Thanks
    If you don't want to see most adds, install Adblock or Adblock Plus, depending on which browser you use.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    If you don't want to see most adds, install Adblock or Adblock Plus, depending on which browser you use.
    I use Adblock Plus and this one still gets through. It also darkens the background (UAC style) so you can't do anything while it's up. You have click it off. I raised questions about this pita ad and was told that it is approved by iNet (the owner of this website).