2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Photo album database ideas needed. (97 SR-2)

I was wondering if someone could get me going on the right track here. I want to create a photo album searchable by keywords, dates and what not. After entering the criteria for the search I want to have a form that returns all of the pictures that match the criteria. What do you think would be the best way to lay out this form that displays the pictures? I'm assuming a continuous form with lets say five image frames across the form horizontally. Should I be looking into arrays?
    If anyone has any suggestions or knows of examples available that could help me get things rolling that would be great!
    Thanks,
    Jols

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Photo album database ideas needed. (97 SR-2)

You're going to run into problems right away because continuous forms don't work horizontally. You could put 5 image controls on a form and populate them, but that isn't a continuous form, which wouldn't work properly anyhow with images. You also do not want to actually store the images in the database, you just want to link them and store the file location in a table.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Photo album database ideas needed. (97 SR-2)

I'm not sure that this would work with pictures/forms, but I've not tried it to see, so it may.

I experimented with a generic data base table cleanup design that didn't care how many fields were in the table - it built the form with as many fields as it needed.

There were a set of fixed controls (text box, OK, Cancel and a few more), then the form.Initialize routine determined how many textboxes, one for each field of the table, were needed, and added that many text box controls and resized (.Height) the form accordingly on the fly.

I can't see why the technology for adding controls won't work for pictures, but I haven't tried.

The sample application was that of seraching my name&address file to locate existing duplicates, or to identify potential duplicates before adding a record.

The LHS set of textboxes (one per field) was loaded with a record, and then a RHS set of textboxes (one per field) was loaded with the best-match, word-by-word, of all the remaining records in the table. Forward and Backward buttons moved the contents of the RHS to the next record, the next-best-match, you might say.

I chose not to have five (uor figure) sets of fields, five records, on display, but used my buttons to move forward and backwartd through them.

I can't see why you couldn't elect to add five pictures to the form, and populate those, each one with a 'select-ME!" button of its own.

A few weeks ago I got code to load a picture image on a form as part of my code to generate wallpapers from any dosot of file. I could post that code if you like.