Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Profuse pop-up ads in Firefox 35 despite 'No Pop-ups' being set

How do I stop Firefox producing a blank sheet labelled 'AdChoices' which when the 'close' icon is clicked, waits for the browser page to respond to the entry of a URL and then comes up with adverts!
    I've cleared out all my cookies, done Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes scans, with no result.
    (System is Asus, windows 7, IE 11.)
    Am I likely to lose these ads on going to 37? My other choice is to get rid of Firefox!

jwoods
    A couple of things to try...

1. Download AdwCleaner, right-click on the EXE and select Run as Administrator. Click Scan and when that completes, click Clean and follow the prompts.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

2. Download the Junkware Removal Tool, right-click on the EXE and select Run as Administrator.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...-removal-tool/

Some of these programs can take a while, so be patient and let them run to completion.

Let us know the results.

Thanks
    Something as simple as deleting the cookies associated with AdChoices can be enough, look at the ad URL on hover in the staus bar and use the main xxxxxx.com part in your search for the cookies in Options > Privacy. While you're there, try changing the cookie settings to disallow 3rd party cookies except from visited (Use custom settings for history).

jwoods
    The poster "shot34ever" on this Tom's Guide thread seems to have found a solution...

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-...ce-popups.html

Apparently, sites like the BBC have opt-out pages for AdChoices as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc.com/ad-choices/
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-10 at 18:27.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Poltor (2015-04-16)

Thanks
    Until you use CCleaner or similar to remove cookies - set it to retain that blocking cookie first.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poltor View Post
    How do I stop Firefox producing a blank sheet labelled 'AdChoices' which when the 'close' icon is clicked, waits for the browser page to respond to the entry of a URL and then comes up with adverts!
    I've cleared out all my cookies, done Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes scans, with no result.
    (System is Asus, windows 7, IE 11.)
    Am I likely to lose these ads on going to 37? My other choice is to get rid of Firefox!
    I watch quite a bit of TV and sports online which are notorious for having popups and redirects to bad sites and found that the following Add-ins help tremendously in cutting back ad pop up windows and redirects:
    1. Adblock Plus-No browser should be without it.
    2. Blur (formerly DoNotTrackMe)
    2. Better Privacy (super cookie safeguard) You can set it to delete all cookies and it handles also LSO cookies.

These add-ins combined with a good AV, firewall and of course MalwareBytes and CCleaner provide great protection.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to johngaz For This Useful Post:

Poltor (2015-04-16)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used these two suggestions, but they brought up nothing.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...-removal-tool/

I'll try the other suggestions shortly and report back, before updating Firefox.

Thanks
    Do you have the logs from JRT/ADWCleaner?

The problem with throwing these types of cleaners at an 'unknown' is that, if they detect/remove nothing of note/relevance, they can also remove traces/logs from which you may have been able to isolate your issue.

*JRT has recently (as of yesterday, I think, v6.5.5) dropped the clearing of Windows Event logs, so you might still have those to work with for clues.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    *JRT has recently (as of yesterday, I think, v6.5.5) dropped the clearing of Windows Event logs, so you might still have those to work with for clues.
    The current version of JRT is 6.5.6.

http://thisisudax.org/

Firefox browser hijacks and adware issues are not logged as Windows Events.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-16 at 18:22.

Thanks
    JRT, like Combofix and other security -related tools, is sometimes updated many times per day.

If your tools don't pick up a Firefox hijack or adware, as in this instance, what do you check next, what's left to check?

EDIT: JRT's up to 6.5.7, as of sometime before I posted last.
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-04-16 at 18:26.

jwoods
    This is an opt-in ad popup (as posted above on 4/10).

This is the full text of the solution the poster on Tom's Guide used...

"I also have these AdChoice ad's which infected my browser Firefox. I updated everything possible, installed several Malware Removal programs and they did not find any of these AdChoice.

After wasting a full day looking for an answer, it turns out that it was added by my Internet provider.

Don't know if I am allowed to say their name, but by clicking on the AdChoice little arrow on the corner of the ad, it takes you to a page that lets you opt out of these ads. So, with all of the time that I have spent searching for a fix, turns out the answer was under my nose.

Hope that this will help everyone with these pesky ad's. This page also told me that it does not have anything to do with my searching for a product online, this is bull also.

Last Monday I searched for a new laptop for my daughter and shortly after, I had ads for laptops all over my providers homepage. WTS I plan to let my Internet provider know how I feel about this."

Other alternatives are...

1. Block it with Adblock Plus or uBlock (smaller memory footprint).

2. Reset Firefox.

3. Download SearchMyFiles and Registry Scanner from NirSoft and use those to manually remove any references to AdChoices.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-16 at 18:42.

Thanks
    Or blocking 3rd party cookies from sites not visited and removing any AdChoices cookies.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Or blocking 3rd party cookies from sites not visited and removing any AdChoices cookies.
    uBlock does a great job with 3rd party cookies...I have no issues.

Thanks
    Sledgehammer meet nut

jwoods
    More like "hammer meet bad nuts"...

uBlock targets known malicious 3rd party cookies...there are times when you want to accept 3rd party cookies from sites you haven't visited.

I like the flexibility...bottom line, it's whatever works best for the user.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast