3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Importing Outlook 97-2002 .pst file to 2013 format

My wife and I each have Outlook .pst files that are stillbeing used through multiple upgrades, and I need to upgrade her “Outlook97-2002 format” one way or another to a “2013 format” file to match thesoftware it is running in after all of these years.I understand there is no way of “converting” the file to the current format, but it appears the thing to do is to create a clean new (and empty) *.pst file with the new software, and then import the entire contents of the old file into it.

Is there anyone out there who might have some experience doing this who can advise me in step-by-step baby step fashion, please?
    I am very nervous about this and not at all sureof myself.For one thing, how do I create the new *.pst file in the first place to receive the imported data?This file means an awful lot after all of these years, and I do not want to see anything happen to it.I thank you in advance for any guidance or help before I get enough nerve to try this with an absolutely irreplaceable file.
    Last edited by decann; 2015-04-10 at 14:53. Reason: typos

David E. Cann

jwoods
    See the instructions under the title "Upgrading from Outlook 2002/XP or previous" in this article...

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/o...013upgrade.htm

Thanks
    First thing, do one (or several) backups of the PST file, having first closed down Outlook.
    If your PST file is so important to you, then you should be doing this every day / week / month already.
    (Me, I use a scheduled task to do this every two hours during the day...)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods, I have found the document you mentioned, but there are a number of directions and steps on it that I do not understand. I will print it out and keep it, but I am a novice at this sort of thing and considering the consequences of doing something wrong in A VERY IMPORTANT FILE, I am going to leave it as is for now. These directions are too confusing, but maybe I can find someone to hire locally to do it for me. Thank you for the reply, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    See the instructions under the title "Upgrading from Outlook 2002/XP or previous" in this article...

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/o...013upgrade.htm

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BATcher, I could not agree with you more. I subscribe to an online service that automatically backs everything up online 24/7 but even with that I wouldn't do something like this without confirmed backups of this file to fall back on. As it is at this moment though, what I have found thus far is too confusing for this novice to understand it or be willing to try it, so I will keep looking for something more understandable or perhaps I can find a "local expert" I can hire to do it. Thank you for the reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    First thing, do one (or several) backups of the PST file, having first closed down Outlook.
    If your PST file is so important to you, then you should be doing this every day / week / month already.
    (Me, I use a scheduled task to do this every two hours during the day...)

David E. Cann

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You may want to look at "Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate" software , it's only $40.00.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but there has got to be a better way of doing it than introducing new software, given all of the directions (that I don't understand) I've found online. I am now considering hiring someone to do it, which can't cost much more than the software I don't know how to use. Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonB-TX View Post
    You may want to look at "Remo Outlook Backup and Migrate" software , it's only $40.00.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The old Outlook .pst file was built on a format called ANSI; the new format is Unicode. It’s recommended to convert over to the new format. Here are some instructions about converting and moving the old .pst data to the new .pst file.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/con...o-unicode-pst/

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/con...-new-computer/

https://support.office.com/en-US/art...8-DED54B3440AC

I’ve done this a few times in the past, and although it is a little complicated, it’s not as hard as it may appear to be. I worked from a copy of the old, original .pst file, rather than the original file itself, that way if something goes wrong, just delete the copy and start over with another copy.