New Lounger
    Thanks

Moving boot record

Over a year ago I installed Windows 8 on a new partition in a desktop computer already running Windows 7. The Windows 8 OS has now evolved to Windows 8.1 and later this year I will upgrade it to Windows 10. I now want to eliminate the Windows 7 OS and make the Win 7 partition available for something else.

In everyday use I have noticed that I can boot the computer into Windows 7 and Windows Explorer as well as the Disk Management utilities will show the OS running from Drive C. However, when running in Windows 8.1, the OS is never running in Drive C, which is still shows as the drive of the Windows 7 OS. As there is no requirement or rule that the running OS must reside in Drive C, this never causes a problem.

However, I have been unable to find a way to eliminate the Windows 7 OS as by doing so, I think all boot files, including the Windows 8.1 files will also disappear. I have looked into a variety of Disk management software such as that sold by EASEUS Todo and EasyBCD. I have been advised by posts on a forum that it is possible to copy the boot files to the Windows 8.1 partition but I am not confident enough to dive into the process yet. I realize that this subject may not be of general interest but is there any advice that you can offer?

Thank you,
    SR

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you post a screen shot of Disk Manager in W8? We can then be sure of your set up before advising.
    Use Windows Snipping Tool, save as PNG and "Insert Image", 3rd last button, in your reply.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Can you post a screen shot of Disk Manager in W8? We can then be sure of your set up before advising.
    Use Windows Snipping Tool, save as PNG and "Insert Image", 3rd last button, in your reply.

cheers, Paul
    I am attaching a word document with a screen shot of Disk Manager as seen when the computer is opened in both Windows 81. (top of page) and Windows 7 (bottom of page.

Thanks for responding.

SR
    Attached Files Attached Files

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    SR, please insert the images direct in future as I have done here.

cheers, Paul
    1.png
    2.png

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That looks like you have Windows 7 on partition 2 (C) and Windows 8 on the logical partition (H). What do you have on F/K?
    Do you have an external disk you can use to backup your data before you begin? I reckon you need 300 - 500GB for backup.

To clean that I think you will need to start from scratch because you want to remove the logical partition holding W8 and move it to the front. Others may suggest a way to do it via image backup / restore.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    ...To clean that I think you will need to start from scratch because you want to remove the logical partition holding W8 and move it to the front...
    I suspect PaulT means you need to move your Win8 installation from partition H:\ to partition C:\.

Not easy, but can be done using advanced partitioning/drive management programs such as "BootIt Bare Metal" http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    It may be possible using EaseUS Partition Master Free to do what you want, otherwise something like the paid for version of Paragon should have the necessary tools.

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/

Obviously you should boot into W8. The System Reserved partition, which has no drive letter and is therefore hidden, must stay where it is as its needed by W8. Delete the unwanted partitions. In a separate operation, extend the W8 partition into the now free space. In a third operation, you can change the drive letter to C, which is where there may be a problem with the Registry being unable to recognise the change. There may also be a problem with the MBR. Either would require a repair reinstall of the OS. For these reasons, you should clone (recommended) or image the hard drive before you start so you can recover the situation if everything goes pear shaped..
    Note that I would not recommend keeping backups in a partition on the hard drive that has the OS on it. If there's a problem, you probably lose everything. A separate hard drive, internal or external, is a much safer option.
    The above having been said, the most logical and simplest solution to your problem is to wait until W10 arrives and then do a clean install, giving you a fresh start.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Boot Record

Thank you all for your suggestions. After contemplating my navel on all of this, I think I will just bite the bullet when Windows 10 becomes available and reconfigure the computer from scratch. The last experiment on reconfiguration ended with a need for a complete recovery from the disk image and I have had enough of that.

I have been evaluating the WIn 10 Beta for a few months now and it looks fairly solid at this point and hopefully will stay that way. Also, I hope an ISO is available. So thanks again.

SR

P.S. I'd like to see someone include a comprehensive article in Windows Secrets on Master Boot Records and all things associated with them.

SR

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by seattlerust View Post
    P.S. I'd like to see someone include a comprehensive article in Windows Secrets on Master Boot Records and all things associated with them.

SR
    There are articles on the MBR in the Windows Secrets Newsletter Archives...I would recommend any that are written by Fred Langa.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The MBR and associated processes are complex and not for the faint hearted. I'd stick with new install of W10 - when it arrives.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I discovered many years ago now, that my life with my computer is so much more enjoyable and a lot safer, if I just keep One OS on One Hard Drive.
    I have several different OS's that I use from time to time on my main PC, but each OS is on it's own private Hard drive. I only power up the drive I want to boot to at the moment, so one OS can NEVER mess with another OS or its data.

Years ago, I tried to use 'Dual Boot' to run two different OS's on my PC, but somehow the boot manager got corrupted and I lost both OS's. I won't make that mistake again. Now my Rule is, "one HD for one OS".

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!