Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Undelete large files from external hard drive?

Is there a way to undelete large Acronis .tib image files?

I accidentally deleted an entire directory tree of my Acronis Backup image files (.tib) , located on an external USB WDMyBook 640G Drive. About 500G worth total, multiple directory levels with about a dozen files, most between 20G & 60G each.
    This was done with Windows 7 Explorer. I had selected a specific sub folder in the right side listings, but the entire directory highlighted in the left side screen is what was deleted.
    I realized what had happened so I right clicked & selected undo delete. My computer worked hard at doing something for about 5 minutes (HD led) and stopped. Nothing came back. I checked the disk properties to find the disk mostly unused. I could not find anything in the recycle folder; likely because they were too large & deleted without using it.
    I have not used the drive for ANYTHING since, not even to look at stuff.

I checked the Acronis forums, with little help. https://forum.acronis.com/forum/12045
    I've scoured the web for hours now without a definite answer. I've seen comments stating: there is something special about these files; many recover programs don't work on large files, somebody was able to undelete a file, but it was unusable.

Thanks
    Try OS Forensics. Its free for home use and contains a good file recovery utility.

http://www.osforensics.com/index.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Calimanco, I gave it a try, but had no luck.

I was able to see the top level (deleted) directory & the first level of subdirectory names, but that was it. No further subdirectories and no intact files.
    Of the dozen deleted, it found four but labeled as badly fragmented & unusable. (Scores of 0 & 34)

Quite disappointing as reading through the documentation, everything sounded very promising. Especially as nothing has been written to the disk since they were deleted.
    The help documentation didn't list the .tib as a supported image file type which turned out to be an accurate statement. I was hoping it would just recover it intact as an unknown, but no luck.

thanks again, it was worth a try.

Thanks
    I've had good success with Recuva from Piriform. Supported file systems is the key, not necessarily file types.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Try OS Forensics. Its free for home use and contains a good file recovery utility. http://www.osforensics.com/index.html
    Downloaded! What are hashsets and rainbow tables?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS
    Downloaded! What are hashsets and rainbow tables?
    See hash sets

See rainbow tables

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks bbearren,
    I gave Recuva a try. It seemed to recover a few older images of Paragon image files, but all of the Acronis .tib files were unrecoverable as "Data could not be found" It worked great on all the misc files and others, just not .tib.

I should include: The recuva did find all of the directories & files and the proper file sizes.
    Last edited by webmaster@lazeetek.org; 2015-04-12 at 23:13. Reason: clarification

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Has anyone tried this with the Seagate File Recovery for Windows??
    I downloaded the free version and it was able to recognize the .tib files including their proper size which is promising. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow actually saving the recovered file without purchasing it for $100. I'd be willing to purchase if I KNEW it would save them in working condition.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by webmaster@lazeetek.org View Post
    Has anyone tried this with the Seagate File Recovery for Windows??
    I downloaded the free version and it was able to recognize the .tib files including their proper size which is promising. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow actually saving the recovered file without purchasing it for $100. I'd be willing to purchase if I KNEW it would save them in working condition.
    If are thinking about purchasing a product, you might consider MiniTools Power Data Recovery...

http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/

The free version limits you to 1 GB of data.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you been successful using that with a .tib file? All of mine are well over a GB.

jwoods
    I have not used it on a .tib file as I use Terabyte Unlimited's Image for Windows, which uses the .tbi file format.

My thinking was you could try the free version of Power Data Recovery to see if it recognizes the file format (as you did with the Seagate tool), and then decide if it's worth the difference in price ($69 vs. $100) to try it.

Thanks
    What I have been learning is:
    -- while some software for serious folder/file recovery is fee, while some software for serious folder/file recovery is free,
    -- none of such software is free of cost, research and development.
    That's why I pay for numerous software packages, programs, utilities. While free is good, free is great, sometimes, it is going to cost for real serious security control or folder/file recovery.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods,
    I downloaded and tried the MiniTools Power Data Recovery with no luck. It didn't even show the directories with corrupt or any type of file.
    Thanks just the same.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by webmaster@lazeetek.org View Post
    jwoods,
    I downloaded and tried the MiniTools Power Data Recovery with no luck. It didn't even show the directories with corrupt or any type of file.
    Thanks just the same.
    Interesting...I wonder if the partition is damaged.

This thread on the Acronis forums mentions Kroll Ontrack data recovery software...

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/35848

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RolandJS I much agree, I have also found the free stuff often does a lot, but often leaves out a few complex tasks that require purchase.
    Which paid utilities do you use for this type of functionality?
    I've been reading forums, vendor sites & .... for three days now. I have found well over a dozen tools that claim to be able to recover "almost anything" IF I pay for the PRO or... version, but of those dozen+ it's very iffy that any could actually perform. As I said, I don't mind paying for something, but it really irks me when I pay for "All Functionality" and then find out afterwards "All" doesn't really mean all, just most.
    Which utilities do you use for this type of functionality? thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast