2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network keeps dropping me.

Hi, I was helped yesterday because I was having trouble with Apple TV. I was helped by jwoods, good man. I said this network (comcast) with a good signal keeps dropping my connection. As I said, I disconnect from network and reconnect and it is fine (for 5 min or sometimes much longer). Now, I want to know, if I can do something to stop this from happening. ISP is comcast, signal as per speedtest is between 10-15 Mbps down to a Netgear router plugged directly into a socket in same room. This location is a rental for a month and I don't want do mess to much with the system as it is not mine. When it drops signal the lower right icon shows no connection, when I click on icon and it opens to all available networks, that says I'm still connected????. This is very annoying but not "life threatening" as I disconnect and reconnect, but it happens a lot, 10-20 times per session. I do not have or have I had any problems like this before with any networks I've used, (many) so ergo, it is this network. Any suggestions, still have 3 weeks to go here, in great Key West, having a good internet experience here, would be the "cherry on top". Many thanks, if any of you all have any thoughts on this issue....Stan R

jwoods
    Stan,

A couple of simple things to try...

1. Check that all of the cables and connections to and from the router are plugged in tightly.

2. Power cycle the router...

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...r-home-network

3. If we're talking about a wireless connection, there could also be a lot of wireless traffic nearby on the same channel you're using. The free NetSurveyor tool will be able to show you that information...

Download -

http://nutsaboutnets.com/netsurveyor-wifi-scanner/

Documentation -

https://nutsaboutnets-documentation....etSurveyor.htm

It could be as simple as changing to another wireless channel.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-11 at 17:52.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will do jwoods, I'll get back to ya, thanks...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods, just so you know that I haven't forgotten you. I seem to have a much bigger problem now and I don't think it is related to the wifi dropping issue. I will tell you and then post this in "Security and Scams". I think I've been hacked or I am being attacked by a virus or malware. I first noticed that it when I checked my gmail and went to copy something and pressed ctrl, the page and fonts got bigger to the max and would not return to normal. Next, I went to my start menu and when I attempted to open sec and prog removal apps, I tried to click on the item I wanted the whole list of programs jumped again and again, I could not control it. I next noted that my search prefence for duck duck has be changed to bing and when I try to change it back the choices flicks on and off and don't allow me to change it. It goes on, I tried to restore to a date before I came here (3/31) and sys restore was not successful, over and over, not successful, first time that has happened. I tried to restart in safe mode, to try again (F8 on HP Pavilions) and nothing shows up to allow me to open in safe mode to try sys restore without my AV on. I did get to and ran Malwarebutes, my AV Kaspersky, ADW, Hitman Pro, Hijack This, even MS Fixit. Nothing infections turned up after 5-6 scans, that were all uptodate and some even reinstalled. I seem to be in deep do do. This is the first time I've been hit and I don't have the skills to fight back. Some programs like Process Ex and Old time, give reams of info that I can't understand and use. I have a repair disc and can't get it to work in my CD drive (I don't know if that's related or just that my drive has not been use in a very long time, which also means my MS Win 7 reinstall disc will not work either. I have tried all I know and the same issues still are there, (uncontroled size and format changes, can not effect changes in others, as flickering on and off does not allow be to click on new choices, no sys restore or safe mode). I can't believe that an attack can do all of this but what do I know. The PC is a5yr old Win 7 64bit that is kept up to date with MS, AV and other Programs. I will try all suggestions and send any and all info that anyone asks. Help, this makes me so mad but my 72 yr brain seems out of ideas. Thanks. Stan R

jwoods
    Boot into Safe Mode, go to Control Panel and select Recovery, click on Open System Restore, select and start the restore point, and when it starts to reboot upon completion, boot into Safe Mode again to let System Restore complete.

The Control Panel in Safe Mode should look something like this...

Control Panel_Safe Mode.jpg

Note the location of Recovery.

I have seen AV tools block the completion when booting into regular Windows.

BTW, I would advise against "double posting" in the forums...it is difficult for others to follow the help that is being given for the same issue in different threads...and it is not permitted in the site rules.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-12 at 17:12.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jwoods I did what you suggested.
    Through control panel I started a sys recovery.
    Again pc went through the sequence (I have done this a number of times yesterday with and without the AV running) at start, again I typed and held F8, again no safe mode and this time I got a audio signal that did not stop until I released F8.
    Upon completion of start up, again I got "Systen recovery could not be completed because it could not access (a) file" (Parentheses are mine as dialogue box stated only one file), error code 0x80070005.
    I'm sorry if I broke forum rules (double posting) but thought my issues had moved to "Sec/Scams". I will close this and move to that forum.
    Once again, jwoods, many thanks for sticking with me through this. My next move will be to try using the "System Reserve"(E drive) part of my HD and if I can figure that out maybe I can reinstall the OS and beat this. It also comes to mind that as this pc is five years old, maybe it is just dieing in its own way. Who knows?
    I am closing this thread in this forum so as not to confuse folks.
    This issue is now closed Don't seem to be able to bold and underline that statement, sorry.
    Thanks S Rubin