Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Get your own cable modem!

Hey Y'all,

Just thought I'd let you know I decided to get my own cable modem and stop paying the man! So a new Surfboard 6141 cost me 89.99 at Amazon which will save me 5.99/mo (not including taxes). So the payback period is 15 months then I'm home free.

However, there was an unexpected benefit. After spending about 45 minutes on the phone w/Time Warner to get the new modem into their system and authorized I was up and running and things seemed a whole lot faster? So off to DSLReports to run some speed tests:

I had run tests just before deciding to purchase the modem and was getting about 6Mbits down.
    Today after installing the new modem I'm getting 16Mbits down basically for free!

Upload speed about the same at approx: 0.5Mbits.

Things sure seem a lot faster (which is why I ran the test in the first place) surfing. Sites just pop up now.

Of course as always YMMV!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi RG,

Sorry if I ask a couple of dumb questions ('cos of the differences between US/UK systems and nonemclature) but:

1) Is your new "cable modem" the same as a "fibre-optic-connected modem"?
    2) What (tool/utility) are you using to measure your download/upload speeds?
    3) How does your use of "Mbits" equate to "Mbps"?

I just want to know in order to respond appropriately to queries from US-based folks whilst I'm (obviously) UK-based.

(Not joshing... )

(For interest, I'm paying my ISP for an "up to 100 Mbps" fibre-optic-connected service. Ookla's http://www.speedtest.net/ shows I'm supposedly getting 91.15 Mbps download/5.9 Mbps upload whilst http://speedof.me/ shows I'm getting 52.6 Mbps download/6.0 Mbps upload.)

Rick
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-04-11 at 20:08.

Thanks
    Rick,

No such thing as a dumb question except the one you don't ask!

1) Is your new "cable modem" the same as a "fibre-optic-connected modem"? No, the cable is coaxial not fibre. Although there are a few, very few, fibre providers in the US mostly you have to choose between cable (as in cable tv) and DSL (as in Phone company).

2) What (tool/utility) are you using to measure your download/upload speeds? www.dslreports.com

3) How does your use of "Mbits" equate to "Mbps"? Networking speeds are for some reason measured in bits vs bytes just divided by 8 to go from bits to bytes. I think it harkens back to the olden days of when phone modems were measured in baud!

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Nice result RG!

Out of curiosity I tried the Dslreports speed test and this is my result

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/278496

The speedtest I normally use is Thinkbroadband in the UK and this is what they measured

Last edited by Browni; 2015-04-11 at 20:42. Reason: Spelling!

Thanks
    Browni,

Here's what I got with your site.
    speedy.JPG

Here's the latest run w/DSL Reports...the upload is much faster than I remember the first time!

I guess hopping over the pond slows things down a bit!
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-04-18 at 13:31.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek
    Rick,

1) Is your new "cable modem" the same as a "fibre-optic-connected modem"? No, the cable is coaxial not fibre. Although there are a few, very few, fibre providers in the US mostly you have to choose between cable (as in cable tv) and DSL (as in Phone company).
    Many thanks for your reply. It's now obvious that 'cable modem' means something completely different in the UK ([to me at least] where it means a fibre-optic connected device)... but please chime in, other UK'ers [Satrow?].

I have no idea why I can't duplicate the 'look and feel' of the thinkbroadband.com speedtest report that you and Browni have shown, i.e. on black background. I get a completely different graphic...
    thinkbroadband.png
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-04-12 at 02:24.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    4 or 8 channels does makes a difference.

Thanks
    Rick, Virgin is cable here.

Re your TBB graph, I don't think I've seen one like that before! Try clicking the open shareable results link and paste the BBCode here.
    Last edited by Browni; 2015-04-12 at 02:39.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use the ISP provided DSL modem and I get the same results as RG in post #5.
    Why would I need anything faster?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Browni - Virgin Media broadband in the UK uses both cable (fibre-optic) and ADSL (co-axial) at the moment, but is divesting itself (with no choice) of co-axial (phone-based) service (both voice and ADSL broadband) to TalkTalk (ranked second-lowest service provider by Which Reports) nationwide at the end of April.

broadband.png
    Click to enlarge

Thanks, Virgin Media, for shafting my 82-year-old Dad. It will be remembered...

Thanks for the advice re: the thinkbroadband.com speed test...
    tbb.png
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-04-12 at 03:23.

Thanks
    What's being offloaded to Talktalk is the non-cable customers (ADSL, ie POTS!)

Link

Thanks
    There are two ThinkBroadband testers: the current one at www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and the new (beta) one found at http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/ispa/.

The graph shown in Rick's post #6 is what you get from the new tester before you click on the "Open Shareable Results Link" button at the bottom left.

I get 54 Mbps down and 3.1 Mbps up, usually.

My argument to justify such high download speeds is so that "you can get Windows Updates faster"...!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    3) How does your use of "Mbits" equate to "Mbps"? Networking speeds are for some reason measured in bits vs bytes just divided by 8 to go from bits to bytes. I think it harkens back to the olden days of when phone modems were measured in baud!
    Sorry to disagree, but network speeds are measured in bits per second (if you don't have a unit of time in the measure how could that be speed?). In the normal description everyone talks just about the number of bits, but the time is implied - it's always bits per second. So, in this case, Mbits really means Mbit / s.

So, in the original question Mbps is really the same as Mbit/s.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Many thanks for your reply. It's now obvious that 'cable modem' means something completely different in the UK ([to me at least] where it means a fibre-optic connected device)... but please chime in, other UK'ers.
    OK, then

There are two main broadband delivery systems in the UK: cable and ADSL. Cable is subdivided into optical fibre and...er, not optical fibre, which would be a metal cable; it would only need one conductor with a sheath around it - in other words, coax. Coax is also used in satellite systems.

ADSL wires are multi-conductor, to fit the phone line, a bit like ethernet; they have similar connectors, in fact, but smaller.

Incidentally, your Dad's not the only one; Virgin are a dodgy lot.

Thanks
    Rui,

Yep, still waiting for those new specs! I should have read it more closely. You are absolutely correct! Thanks for clearing it up for me.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast