3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two routers with network upgrade

I have been using a Linksys WRT 1900 AC router with my older Optimum cable service modem. I just upgraded to a faster level of service. Optimum provided a new modem (as expected) and a new router optimized for their service. This new router is a customized version of a D-link AC router, DIR - 868L.

An Optimum tech said that I needed to use the D-link AC router that they provided to connect to the modem, effectively replacing my relatively new Linksys router. However, they stated that I could use the Linksys router as a remote access point, thereby extending my network range, even using the same network names. One tech stated that the proper approach is to connect the Ethernet cable coming from their router to the yellow internet access port on the Linksys router, and another said that I should NOT do this, but connect to any other port and do not use the port normally used to connect to the modem. Both approaches seem to work, but the network mapping (visual) utility does not properly map the network - the desktop connected by Ethernet to the second router is recognized but unmappable.

What is the proper approach?

Thanks.

[Note: My network is relatively complex; it also includes two 1x8 switches and many applications.]

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    My network is relatively complex; it also includes two 1x8 switches and many applications
    That's not complex, it's not a corporate network, let alone an ISP.

Using the Linksys via the WAN (yellow) port results in a different network address range and double NAT, which is less efficient, but it does isolate devices downstream of the router - if that's what you want.
    The best way to set it up is to use a LAN port on the router and set the router as an Access Point only. Then all DHCP and DNS services are provided via your primary router.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

globalist (2015-04-12)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it.

My network is certainly not complex compared to corporate or ISP networks - agreed. But the eyes of anyone I talk to glaze over at the thought of a home network this complex.

I suspect from what you said that if I detach the Linksys from the network and access its setup from the pc attached to it, I can find a spot to set the router as an access point - right? Then I reattach the router to the network using a black (LAN) port.

Glad you're still here on earth!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I followed the Linksys advice for my situation: Connect the Ethernet cable from a user port on my new modem-facing router (from the cable company) to the yellow input on my Linksys. This "smart" router recognizes this and generates a new ip address for itself. Things seem to be working - however, I still have trouble (since adding the router and higher speed network) with my Bose internet radio pausing to catch up frequently (more than once/hour).

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It could be the double NAT. Try setting it up as an Access Point.

cheers, Paul