New Lounger
    Thanks

Fixed IP disappears from NIC GUI

Hi, my client has a Dell Insirion - i7, 16Gb Ram 1Tb HDD, Realtek PCIe GBE NIC, Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 and Win 8.1.

When I assign a fixed IP to the network card (any NIC on this notebook) and close the GUI. When I open the GUI again, there are no assigned IP settings (The GUI is empty, no IP's in sight).

If I do an IPCONFIG, the recently assigned IP shows up in the DOS list.

The problem is, when he leaves office and goes home to his DHCP assigned network, the NIC will not accept the new IP as the hidden IP is still assigned. He cannot go to the GUI and tick "Obtain an IP Address Automatically', because it is already marked. The only way I can get rid of the 'hidden' IP is by 'netsh winsock reset'

Tomorrow at the Office (they do not use a DHCP network at the Office) an IP needs to be assigned again, etc etc.

I have done Virus scans, Spyware scans. Updated drivers, firmwares and the BIOS. Un-installed and re-installed drivers.

Help is needed and will be much appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does the assigned static IP address details tally with the DHCP range/Subnet Mask and Default Gateway in the client's home router ?

To get it to remain in the GUI you may have to uninstall/reinstall the Realtek drivers.

Is an assigned static IP address retained when set up at the client's home ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-04-12 at 11:43.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thx for your response.

The home DHCP is just an example. The facts is, if he wants to go to a coffee shop or any place where he needs another IP address, be it DHCP OR STATIC, he cannot change it as the GUI is empty and for me to explain a DOS command to temporarily fix the situation is a nightmare.

I have uninstalled/re-installed the Realtek drivers form Dell's website and have also tried the driver directly from Realtek's website with no luck.
    The wireless has the same problem and I have tried the port replicator's NIC with the same unsatisfactory result.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the IP address is retained.
    Say you didn't know there was an IP address static assigned and you go ahead and you assign a 2nd or 3rd IP, it will just stack up when you IPCONFIG/ALL and display a list of IP's

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried resetting the TCP/IP stack with netsh int ipv4 reset or netsh int ip reset ?

Posted before I saw your last one.

Can you then re-enable DHCP after it has been retained ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-04-12 at 12:09.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried netsh int ip reset. no luck there.

Will do netsh int ipv4 reset now and let you know. Just a sec

jwoods
    Check in Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables > System Variables and see that there is a PATH set for %SystemRoot% and %SystemRoot%\System32.

If not, add them and reboot.

Solution courtesy of daniweb.com.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have run netsh int ipv4 reset. No good. the static IP was removed. After the reboot the DHCP connected. I added the static IP again and again it disappeared from the GUI.

The GUI still does not display the IP address.

%SystemRoot% was not under System Variables. I rebooted. The problem still persists. No IP in the GuI

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your help.

There was a corrupted registry entry in the TCP-IP configuration that doesn't allow the GUI to successfully change the TCP-IP settings.
    The reg entry is removed, and the computer restarted.
    TCP-IP service finds the reg entry missing, and rebuilds it.

the GUI displays properly and will set/reset the TCP-IP setting properly.

Deleting the following reg entry solved the problem:
    My computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\C ontrol\Network\Config

Hope this can help someone else.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Coert For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-04-12)