Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Malware, hardware, or something else?

I think I've been hacked or I am being attacked by a virus or malware. I first noticed that it when I checked my gmail and went to copy something and pressed ctrl, the page and fonts got bigger to the max and would not return to normal. Next, I went to my start menu and when I attempted to open sec and prog removal apps, I tried to click on the item I wanted the whole list of programs jumped again and again, I could not control it. I next noted that my search prefence for duck duck has be changed to bing and when I try to change it back the choices flicks on and off and don't allow me to change it. It goes on, I tried to restore to a date before I came here (3/31) and sys restore was not successful, over and over, not successful, first time that has happened. I tried to restart in safe mode, to try again (F8 on HP Pavilions) and nothing shows up to allow me to open in safe mode to try sys restore without my AV on. I did get to and ran Malwarebutes, my AV Kaspersky, ADW, Hitman Pro, Hijack This, even MS Fixit. Nothing infections turned up after 5-6 scans, that were all uptodate and some even reinstalled. I seem to be in deep do do. This is the first time I've been hit and I don't have the skills to fight back. Some programs like Process Ex and Old time, give reams of info that I can't understand and use. I have a repair disc and can't get it to work in my CD drive (I don't know if that's related or just that my drive has not been use in a very long time, which also means my MS Win 7 reinstall disc will not work either. I have tried all I know and the same issues still are there, (uncontroled size and format changes, can not effect changes in others, as flickering on and off does not allow be to click on new choices, no sys restore or safe mode). I can't believe that an attack can do all of this but what do I know. The PC is a5yr old Win 7 64bit that is kept up to date with MS, AV and other Programs. I will try all suggestions and send any and all info that anyone asks. Help, this makes me so mad but my 72 yr brain seems out of ideas. Thanks. Stan R

Thanks
    Hi Stan,

jwoods appears to be helping you in your other post Network keeps dropping me.

I suggest you keep to one or the other posts, not both, as this will only cause confusion.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-04-12 at 16:57.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick Corbett,
    I did that a moment ago, sorry if I broke rules. I unknowingly thought that this would be the most appropriate forum and yes jwoods was sticking with me. I told him and the forum and now will only follow the help given here. Again forgive me, S Rubin

Thanks
    Hi Stan - No problem... just trying to help you get the best result.

Thanks
    I first noticed that it when I checked my gmail and went to copy something and pressed ctrl, the page and fonts got bigger to the max and would not return to normal.
    Could be that your + (usually Shift + = combo) key is sticking or turned on when pressing Ctrl?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow, thanks, keys don't seem to be sticking, it seems also to fight against trying to stop it from happening. Slide bars on bottom and sides return to top or left on their own, also can't stop. When trying to make a choice on a drop down menu, choices flicker on/off to quickly to make choice. Start menu items move away from choice click made, to start another program. I have tried many times but can not boot to safe mode and I can't restore to earlier times, dialogue says can't find a file and error code is 0x80070005. I really don't know if PC has virus/malware or is just dieing slowly, in its own way. I have not made any changes to system, but I'm in a new location, a rental for a month in Key West and have had problems with the WiFi here dropping signal. jwoods in networking forum was/is working with me to help. I truly have no idea what started the issues. Laptop PC is 5+ yrs old, w/Win 7 64bit and is up to date on OS, AV, and other programs, first time I've have had issues with this machine. I'm at a loss and thanks for responding..
    S Rubin

Thanks
    Have you tested by using the virtual keyboard (found under Ease of Access/Accessory tools)?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-04-13)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow, Didn't even know that was there. Tried it and it worked fine, typed a note etc. Held the ctrl button down and it had no effect on font size as keyboard ctrl did. I guess that narrows it down to keyboard. I can go and get a can of air and see if that changes the issue. Can keyboards be replaced or is that silly for a 5+ yr PC? If cleaning with air doesn't help, what do you suggest? Do you think that stuck key would have an affect on or cause all the other issues that seem to be happening? Thanks again, I learn something new each day.....SR
    Last edited by rubinontheroad; 2015-04-13 at 12:19. Reason: Forgot to ask.....

Thanks
    Key modifiers vary according to the software/window on top so the 'bad' keyboard could easily be at fault for many, if not all, of your rash of issues.

Yup, get a new keyboard, if it's a notebook, get someone with experience and steady hands to help you with the replacement. USB keyboards are available from ~5 here, try a cheapo first, just in case.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow, again thanks, getting the replacement keyboard, I may put off until I get home or I may spring for and new laptop after 5+ years. I also did a sfc scannow which said some Win files were corrupted and I couldn't open the logs and as the cd drive is not working using my disks (repair and reinstall) seem out, I was thinking about my E drive, with MS stuff that been sitting here for yrs unused. I not sure if I know what to do, I guess open and run. Do you think I would screw up things worse or is it worth a try. You've been very kind and you don't have to keep holding my hand, but thanks anyway...... I was in Cardiff a couple yrs ago, great time, first time I was visiting friends in Tiger Bay in the mid 60s, opps showing my age...Stan R

Thanks
    I'd just get a USB keyboard, 5 years is around the time most people should be thinking about upgrading a computer anyway, laptops being what they are, they may be close to the point when they go downhill fast.

not sure about the other things.

Cardiff's a great cosmopolitan city, much changed since your visit, some for the good, others not so good. Time to come back and judge for yourself

13. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

rubinontheroad (2015-04-13)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow, if things coutinue to go downhill a USB keyboard is the way to go. I was waiting till Win 10 but with a free upgrade in the works it probably doesn't matter. I'll nurse this along until I find a good deal. It's amazing that so many issues popped up at the same time and I can use a bunch of work arounds and life goes on. If I can open these CBS logs, I may post them and I may use the E drive just to see if I can do it. Again many thanks and take care.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by rubinontheroad View Post
    If I can open these CBS logs, I may post them and I may use the E drive just to see if I can do it
    CBS logs cannot be opened directly.

However, you can dump the results to a text file by copying and pasting the following into an elevated (Run as Administrator) Command prompt...

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > "%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

The above will place a standard text file called "sfcdetails.txt" on your Desktop.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could give this 30 day free trial keyboard tester a try to see if it picks up any faults with your keyboard http://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm then stick a dvd in and run this MS Fixit for cannot read DVDs to see if that helps. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...drive_problems

You can use msconfig/Boot to boot up into Safe Mode to try your restore points.

Given the quality of anti malware scans, it's unlikely you have an infection.

CTRL+0 should restore fonts to normal size but as sfc /scannow has reported that it cannot repair some files, open a command prompt as an admin and enter -

findstr /c:"[SR]" Cannot %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > 0 & notepad 0

This will output to Notepad just the bits it cannot repair which you can copy & paste into the Reply box - not sure if we'll be able to help with those though

Have you also run a chkdsk /r should there be any bad sectors on the HDD which could also account for sfc not being able to repair some files.

If you can get it to boot up with your install disk after running the MS Fixit and the chkdsk /r comes up clean with no bad sectors, then you can try an offboot sfc /scannow.

For that, boot up with the install disk where you may be presented with an inverse screen which includes the option to Press F8 or it may take you straight to the splash screen.

If you have to go the F8 route, select Safe Mode with Command Prompt and when you get to the splash screen, select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment then select Command Prompt.

Enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using whichever partition letter, enter (assuming c)

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

and that will check your system files against an incorrupt source.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-04-13 at 17:59.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Forgot to add, to view the full chkdsk /r report go Start orb or press the Windows key, type eventvwr then press enter.

When Event Viewer has read the logs expand Windows Logs, click on Application/Action/Find then type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Close the find box then read the report in the scrollable window.

If you aren't sure what it is reporting, you can copy & paste that into the Reply box by clicking on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane then paste into the Reply box.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast