Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

GWX? What is this software from MICROSOFT?

Greetings from the Great Country of TEXAS,

This is not what I thought it may be, yet is supposed to be from Microsoft Updates, #1. it is installed on my system and is NOT allowed to go any place until someone can explain what it is for and why is it here? Turned on my System just a bit ago, about two (2) hours, and one of my Security Software programs announced there is a new 'StartUp' program that wants access to the Internet, NOT FROM MY SYSTEM until more is known about what it is "for" and "why". Installed in C\Windows\System32\GWX\ a "config.xml" file is installed yet when attempting to open it to see what is going on you get a report from WINDOWS that 'Windows cannot find the requested file" while I am sitting there looking at it, wondering what is this? There is also a file "GWXConfigManager.exe" that is supposedly to manage some downloads from unknown websites. Found a couple of links in that Config.xml file that takes you to some non-existent webpages, or at least all you get are "ERROR 404" Page NOT found.

Did a Google on GWX and found some references to several "KBs" that are just confusing to me. Seems this is only supposed to be placed on "Win7 64bit" systems. Those discussing what it is supposed to do are not very clear for the limited Knowledge USER, non-programmer, hacker, skip kiddy, or some other cute named Nerd. I consider myself a little bit of a Knowledgeable person as I do trouble-shooting and solving issues some of my friends run into with their systems. Any one have some ideas? What I have found seems to be more of a run-around and do not know if this should be kept or Removed with out a fanfare.
    TIA, CU L8R,
    NTxLS Win7 Pro 64bit SP1; FireFox v49.x, all with the latest updates

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have that installed on my Win7 64-bit in the same location. Looking in some of the files brings up a link for this:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/982258
    Seems to have something to do with Click to Run for Office but I don't have that feature. It installed on April 4, 2015. The KB doesn't show in Installed Updates.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-04-12 at 22:39.

Thanks
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It installed on April 4, 2015.
    I should have not used 'installed' but that the subFolder was created on April 4, 2015.

Thanks
    It's going to be a "nag" screen that comes up to get you to update to Win 10 when it is released to the general public. MS is doing a lot of preparation to get EVERYBODY on win 10. I hid the KB3035583 update.
    I also hid the KB2990214 update ( to install the preview Win 10 ) that has now appeared in WUs. So far they are both in optional on my computer but that may change as MS gets ready to launch win 10.

Ken Kashmarek
    The web is alive with this one. Even Woody says he doesn't have the full story on this update. If it is related to Win10, it may be advance preparation for the Win10 DeviceGuard feature. My observation (speculation really) is that this is monitoring and tracking software, which will likely report to MicroSoft every program that you load and execute (which may slow down you boot time) as well as report every program you have installed.

Recall that DeviceGuard only allows you to run programs with approved signatures (kind of like the Apple app store for iPhones). I suspect that Win10 with the Hello, Passport, and DeviceGuard features are likely to turn off a number of users from upgrading.

See this web page from InfoWorld:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/291...e-patches.html

A direct quote:

"This update is applicable to your systems even if you're not planning to migrate to Windows 10, so don't think you can skip it."

Whoa! Closer To Truth be I might.

Read that web page. It seems to be Woody's latest on the topic.

Remember when the original install of KB3035583 was only a metadata change (it explicitely said NO PROGRAMS)? That shows how much we can trust Microsoft these days.

Ken Kashmarek
    I wonder if there will be a Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, similar to those for Win7 and WIn8/8.1? I think such a tool is generally useful.

However, with the GWX changes, it appears that MicroSoft is more interested in nagging users to upgrade rather than helping users to understand if their system is suitable for an upgrade. An upgrade assistant helps customers to use PULL technology for a new system (a marketing thing...let the customer decide).

The GWX changes seem to disavow that approach, by using PUSH technology in an attempt to strongly encourage or force users to move on to Windows 10. I strongly suspect a number of things coming in Windows 10 that we haven't heard about yet, and may be likely to avoid an upgrade once we find out. We are likely to see some strong handed marketing as well, such as elimination of downgrade installs of older versions on new computers, or a shortened time frame for free upgrades, or fix levels costing money to acquire (required subscription services).

Thanks
    I would like to THANK ALL that have posted in this request for information. It seems this is from Microsoft and just may become one of those PUPs. One that the General Public will not want to see.

This is some of the information that the General Public needs and should know about so WE can make-up our MINDS.
    TIA, CU L8R,
    NTxLS Win7 Pro 64bit SP1; FireFox v49.x, all with the latest updates

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post
    I wonder if there will be a Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, similar to those for Win7 and WIn8/8.1? I think such a tool is generally useful.
    Microsoft says that if your system will run Windows 8.1, it will run Windows 10.

So given that, using the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant would give you the information you would need.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-7-tutorial

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Get Windows 10 (GWX); I believe I read it elsewhere here.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is for Windows 10. There is a program available with the update that allows you to reserve an upgrade for free, should you be running on Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 SP1.

jwoods
    That is what GWX (or Get Windows 10) does, among other things (compatibility check).

Thanks
    How to Remove “Get Windows 10″ App and Its Icon from Taskbar?

There are a number of ways to "get rid" of it, if it's getting on your nerves. (like it does mine)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    How to Remove “Get Windows 10″ App and Its Icon from Taskbar?

There are a number of ways to "get rid" of it, if it's getting on your nerves. (like it does mine)
    "Hide icon and notifications" and "Only show notifications" do not persist between reboots on my Win 7 Pro system.

For me, the easiest was disabling the tasks in Microsoft > Windows > Setup > gwx.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-03 at 01:07.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go into Autoruns, search on GWX, and then delete or disable all the entries it finds. Some can not be disabled, but all can be deleted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast