Thread: Windows Updates

Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Updates

I'm back with another problem....or maybe it's a continuation of the old one relating to my recent "Non-destructive reinstall of Windows 7.

I''m about ready to opt for a clean, full install from my Win7 Ultimate DVD w/Sp1. That's usually the easy part. The hard part is getting all the updates installed afterwards.

Here's my question:
    Q1. Is it possible to download and save all the Microsoft Updates to a file to be installed from a local storage device without the lo-o-o-ong online process?

Thanks in advance,
    Emmitt

Thanks
    I've used WSUS Offline Update for years now to keep all the Windows Updates and Service Packs (and Office updates and Service Packs, C++ Runtime Libraries and .NET Frameworks) in a folder that can be carried round on a USB stick.

It's free and, in my opinion, invaluable, particularly when I visit friends or family with slow broadband connections.

It can become a bit of a storage hog, depending on how many OS and Office versions you choose to download the updates for. For example, the W61-x64 folder (i.e. the 64-bit version of Windows 7) is currently just over 2 Gb.

However, in terms of ease of use in bringing a vanilla install up-to-date as quickly and as easily as possible... it's great. I just set it to automatically reboot (which turns UAC off temporarily) and let it get on with it.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-04-14 at 16:48.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Rick, that looks like a solution to my dilemma.

Thank you very much.

Emmitt

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yup, that is what I use as well. [Don't let the German splash page throw yu the rest is in English.]

For XP users 9.2.1 was the last XP supported version. There was a single update after that (and a few for some other optional tools), so run Updater afterwards.