Thread: Switching AV

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Switching AV

Any strategy for installing new AV program and uninstalling old AV program so as not to be vulnerable during the time your old is removed and the new is downloading and installing. The new installer package is a web install with just a small installer you save and run.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Norton has a Remove and Reinstall program that downloads the new version first and then uninstalls the older version before the reinstall and if Symantec consider that to be safe you should be okay, but you could either disconnect from your SSID, the Ethernet or switch the router off.

jwoods
    If you are planning on using a security suite (firewall, malware, AV), just make sure the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are turned on during uninstall of the old and install of new security programs. Make sure Windows Defender definitions are up to date.

Most security software vendors have uninstall tools specific for their products.

I would recommend using those to completely uninstall all of the old bits before installing any new security product.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Trev (2015-04-14)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You'll be OK for the short time it takes to download a file . But if you're that worried, download the full installer instead of the stub. For example, Avast! does it here.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, you download the new AV first. Most will even allow you to download the AV update too.

Then unplug from the Internet.

Then uninstall the current AV (may require specific tool or situation such as from Safe Mode). Reboot if you want.

Install new AV. Point it to AV update file.

Reboot. Plug in Internet. Update (should be up to date already or only a last few hours worth of AV signature updates).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Yes, you download the new AV first. Most will even allow you to download the AV update too.

Then unplug from the Internet.

Then uninstall the current AV (may require specific tool or situation such as from Safe Mode). Reboot if you want.

Install new AV. Point it to AV update file.

Reboot. Plug in Internet. Update (should be up to date already or only a last few hours worth of AV signature updates).
    That is what I would have done if I could have downloaded the entire setup package. This was a web install where you download the installer. This was <1 MB. When you run the installer, you have to be connected to the internet in order to download the rest of the files.

Unfortunately, the new AV was unstable on my system for whatever reason and I had to remove it and go back to what I was using. It would just stop working for no apparent reason with the accompanying windows error message.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That sounds as though the old AV wasn't fully uninstalled.

What was the error message, the old AV and what were you wanting to replace it with ?

If it was Bitdefender you were trying to install, I have come across where that has had an adverse effect on a computer.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was replacing Microsoft Security Essentials with the free Bitdefender program. I uninstalled the MSE program 1st and then ran the Bitdefender installer. No issues with the install, but I would get error messages from Windows saying that Bitdefender has stopped working. The icon in the tray would disappear and I would have to restart the program. This happened repeatedly so I did a repair install. Same issue still so I decided that I could not live with it and went back to MSE. I did not use the MSE fixit as it is old and is not supposed to be necessary unless the program does not uninstall with the built in uninstaller.

I was not unhappy with MSE, I just wanted to try something else.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So is the computer working okay with MSE ?

As an alternative you could try AVAST Free and then enable Windows Firewall https://www.avast.com/en-gb/index

jwoods
    If you decide to try again, I would recommend using the MSE Removal Tool...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...-removal-tool/

I would also make sure that Bitdefender has been totally removed as well...

http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

Also, if you have ever run another security suite/AV program on your system, download that vendor's removal tool.

You would be surprised how much can be left behind after a "normal" uninstall.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Computer works fine with MSE and fine in general. Saw a recommendation for the Bitdefender and decided to try it as it is supposed to be light n resources and does not take over your system. I also thought that its' database might be more complete than the MSE program perhaps.

I thought I might like the set it and forget it interface, but did not see anywhere where you might set preferences or do on demand scanning. It was not on my system long enough though for a full.

If I decide to try it again, I will run the fixit.