New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 5.5 Cumulative Vulnerability Patch

WIN98se, IE 5.5SP2

I went to Windows Update and it said I needed the "Internet Explorer 5.5 Cumulative Vulnerability Patch" v5.50.4911.0800 (q312461.exe). Security Bulletin MSO1-055.

I already have the "Cumulative Security Update 1.0" (q313675.exe). Security Bulletin MS01-058, which is supposed to superceed all previous patches.

I figured it might be a WU glitch, so I exited and went back a couple of times and it reiterated that I needed the MSO1-055 patch.

I tried to add it 3 times, but each time after it finished loading, I got a "error-could not install this file" type of message.

I found it for download to disk at ZDNET. After downloading, I tried to install it, but got a message that said "This update requires Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 to be installed", which I already have.

I have verified in HelpAbout Internet Explorer that I have SP2 & q313675.exe installed.

What should I do?

Thx

j

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 5.5 Cumulative Vulnerability Patch

Something is wrong with your Installer. IE5.5 SP2 is not listed as "installed". You can reinstall it (usually IE saves a copy of installation files in "Windows Update Setup Files" folder), try to fix Installer database or... just forget it and ignore Windows Update messages.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 5.5 Cumulative Vulnerability Patch

If that was the case:

1. How could I have previously installed the IE 5.5 SP2 "Cumulative Security Update 1.0" (q313675.exe). Security Bulletin MS01-058"?

2. Why & how would WU recognize that I had IE 5.5 SP2 & advise me to download the earlier patch (MS01-055)?

3. Are you referring to ie5setup.exe?

Rgds

j