Thanks

I have a boot issue

Win 7 pro will not boot unless I boot to the repair CD and use the fix/repair function, it then boot up and will work fine until i turn it off at night, next morning same thing. I decided to not turn it off :-)

Where would one start to fix this problem??

Thanks
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    hahaha to TonyLama! Ok, what happened when you booted the Windows OS install DVD, found and selected Startup Repair? If not yet, try that & let us know.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-04-14 at 15:09.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Yes RJS, the win7 repair did something for a while 20-30 mins rebooted and it was good till I turned it off that night ---- next morning some thing.

Thanks
    the win7 repair did something
    Its not clear what you mean by this JagW
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Exactly what happens when the PC does not boot?

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    Yes RJS, the win7 repair did something for a while 20-30 mins rebooted and it was good till I turned it off that night ---- next morning some thing.
    I am wondering if your CMOS battery needs to be replaced. If your hard disk parameters are not saved, the location of the boot files is lost. Usually the first signs of CMOS battery failure is incorrect date/time when PC is first turned on.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Looks like Nate beat me to it.

Thanks
    Replaced the 2032 cmos battery, (not all but sometimes) it just boot lopes over and over.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Next time it does it, shut it down then tap F8 as you switch on and select Disable automatic restart on system failure and it may give you an error code.

You can try the Startup Repair again, Last Known Good Config or in Safe Mode with Networking run a command prompt as an admin and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Back up your data immediately and ensure you know the 25 character key Product ID

As requested "Exactly what happens when the PC does not boot?"

Booting into Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Last Known Good Config and Disable automatic restart on system failure have been mentioned
    --- How have they turned out?

"Win 7 pro will not boot unless I boot to the repair CD and use the fix/repair function, it then boot up and will work fine until i turn it off at night, next morning same thing."
    --- Is the repair CD your System Repair disc?
    --- Do you have an install disc?

"Replaced the 2032 cmos battery, (not all but sometimes) it just boot lopes over and over."
    --- Can you get into the BIOS and set the correct time in there?
    --- I would also consider setting the BIOS to default

Have you tried a System Restore to a time when it was booting up ok?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    Win 7 pro will not boot unless I boot to the repair CD and use the fix/repair function, it then boot up and will work fine until i turn it off at night, next morning same thing. I decided to not turn it off :-)

Where would one start to fix this problem??
    I am not sure what to make of this. You do a repair install and it seems to work. But when you shut down for the night, the same problem is present on booting the following morning.

I can see where this feels like a CMOS issue.

In order of testing:
    I guess were it me I would test the boot drive with the maker's diag app. (I can see a possible boot drive cause and an easy test.)

While I was at it I would boot up and test RAM with memtest86. (I really do not see a RAM issue but it is easy to test.)

Then I guess I would boot up Linux Mint or Ubuntu in RAM only (LiveCD) and play around with it. Shut the PC down. Power back again into your Linux OS. Still working? If yes, I'd repeat the cycle again. Still working? Then the issue is the Win OS or its boot drive. If it too stops working then it is a hardware issue.

• I might suspect the CMOS of going bad. If the MB has a backup, I'd follow the manual's instructions and switch.
    • If not, then I would strip all but the most necessary peripherals and components and see if the issue remains.
    • If not then you know it is one of the components removed. If still present then I'd replace any components I had that were compatible and known working (if any).
    • And then either consider a new PC or start replacing components likely starting with the MB (but that would depend upon all of the above trials results).
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-04-22 at 04:00.

Thanks
    Can you attach an image of Disk Manager with all the details of the boot drive listed in full along the bar chart or Status section, please?