Thanks

Windows updates marathon

I am finally getting around to reinstalling W7HP64 Uefi style on my new (well Sept last year) box with the BSOD problems. I was wishing for a sort function on the update list page or may be just getting rid of the useless right hand pane. No luck there buuut, not wanting to install 185 or so updates at once I was looking for a way to select a dozen or 2 quickly. It did not seem to be possible until I stumbled on the secret!! UnSelect all w/ a double click on the top select box, then left click on the first update you want to install. Do a shift select of the last and all between should be highlighted, hit the space key and wala the correct little boxes are ticked!

Ok maybe not news for some of you but a time saver if you don't.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Wavy,

This works a lot of different places in windows & office like File Explorer, Outlook, Excel, to name a few. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Yes but in those you don't need to use the space key as the selective select works. (no little boxes I guess)
    Now I am debating just what to install next or just fool around for a few to see if I BSOD
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    MS did have a couple of updates that caused BSODs for some which were supposed to be pulled but which you can check the list for - but I'd hold off on the updates to see if the BSODs continue which could eliminate them as the cause.

KB2859537 issued Aug 2013 and KB 2982791 issued Aug 2014.

Wonder what Aug 2015 will produce - although they already seemed to have been practising with bad updates so far for this year
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-04-15 at 05:46.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good tip Wavy. I'm very familiar with it but I hope it's helpful for someone who doesn't know about it. On the 185 updates I have seen many similar incidents and Windows History showing many failed installs. I'd like to mention that when I see multiple updates that are needed, I select them in "blocks". For example I'll typically start off with 10 updates at a time such as the security updates; because I have seen many failures for .Net Framework updates I save those for last and haven't had any issues following that. Oh yes, I do check Susan Bradley's recommendations also. As mentioned some updates can cause BSOD's.
    EDIT: I forgot to mention I conduct a "tune-up" procedure before addressing the Windows Updates
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2015-04-15 at 09:39.

Thanks
    As far as I see all updates were good to go up to April , which I am mentioning because they (3 or 4) just disappeared from my updates screen. mmm I booted up this morning and windows said I needed to restart to finish updating, something I had already done. This prompted me to check event viewer (should have been doing that from the install!) and found CAPI2 errors (#4107 ) and WMI errors ( 10) that led to 2 FixIt s.

Just checking now the WMI error still there.

Now the error that has me really worried : HAL #12 "The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous power transition. Please check for updated firmware....

This seems to be happening a few seconds after entering sleep mode.

This is all a bit disheartening but I plan on having lots of time to investigate in a couple of weeks
    David

Thanks
    the HAL #12 error may be innocuous but prompted by a return from sleep. I tried turning off 'enable hybrid sleep' in power control, but when put to sleep the computer woke up but the display never and kb would not change state (numlock on off) had to do a hard shutdown w/ power switch. When I checked the 'enable hybrid sleep' was enabled again. Second attempt took for 2 forced sleeps.
    David