5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

April's Patch Tuesday includes Pwn2Own fixes

PATCH WATCH

PATCH WATCH

April's Patch Tuesday includes Pwn2Own fixes

By Susan Bradley

April brings another shower of Windows and Office patches. This month has a rather eclectic collection of vulnerability fixes. But Web browsers should get extra attention. In what might be more than a bit of wishful thinking, Microsoft is pushing out updates to prepare Win7 and Win8 machines for the upcoming release of Windows 10.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/aprils-patch-tuesday-includes-pwn2own-fixes/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-04-15 at 18:02.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After applying the April Windows Updates, is anyone else seeing a problem saying that Windows 7 is no longer genuine, the specific error message being, "Optional update delivery is not working"?

All our college-owned computers are built from a standard image of Windows Enterprise 7 with Service Pack 1, and are kept up-to-date with our internal WSUS server. So far, I have only one report of this problem.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Sande

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I managed to install April's updates by selecting about 8 at a time to install, and they all worked. After the last reboot, it still said Windows was not genuine.

Then I used slmgr.vbs to install the fixed product key used with KMS yet again (I'd tried twice before). Then I used the online genuine Windows check at https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate yet again (I'd tried twice before).

But when it finished this time, it said Windows is genuine! And slmgr.vbs /dli confirmed it.

Thank goodness only one of our 1000+ Windows computers has shown this problem, as of now. Sande

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Only issue I had with the check is it didn't work in Firefox, something about JAVA, but it worked fine in Internet Explorer.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks as always Susan for the advice.

I see on the MS Community Forum that KB3038314 is failing to install for a lot of users, the common link seemingly being IE11.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-420e45840077

Also, not having installed any updates yet this week I switched my main machine on this afternoon and was no longer offered the standard monthly Malicious Software Removal Tool.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tandor For This Useful Post:

MartinT (2015-04-21)

Lounger
    Thanks
    At the spiceworks community there are quite some folks reporting issues with this months updates. Especially KB3045999 seems to be a troublemaker. For the moment I am leaving this one off my Server 2012 Standard.
    Last edited by MartinT; 2015-04-18 at 16:42.