Thread: Open Office

Lounger
    Thanks

Open Office

I recently downloaded Open Office to my laptop: It downloaded so much junk, most of it that I cannot delete. I even tried to delete OO. Went to programs and clicked delete to no avail. Maybe I downloaded it from the wrong place. What would you suggest I do now?? I do not normally download without asking the lounge first, so lesson learned!!

Twinkie

Thanks
    Can you give a few more details?

1. What version of OpenOffice did you download and install (the latest version from Apache OpenOffice is v4.1.1)?

2. Do you still have the installer file you downloaded? If so, this should be Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.1_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe.

3. Did you carry out a Typical or Custom install?

OpenOffice installer.png
    Click to enlarge

(Either install may give you components that you don't actually need. A Typical install doesn't allow the same amount of choice that a Custom install does.)

4. Can you give examples of 'junk' software that was included and that you can't delete?

5. Do you now have a folder called OpenOffice 4.1.1 (en-US) Installation Files on your desktop?

PS - Have a look at this How-To Geek article comparing OpenOffice to LibreOffice. Although the article is a year old, in my opinion it provides a good argument why it may be better to install LibreOffice.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-04-15 at 16:34.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Along with LibreOffice, you may find such things as LibreCAD for those with a use for such things. Some might skip the office and take the CAD.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have one that is not in the too-distant past, you might use a restore point.

Edited: Sorry, that was supposed to be a Reply with Quote of original post.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2015-04-15 at 22:15.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry it took so long. Thanks for all your help. The v. is 3.1.0 I don't remember seeing anything that said "Typical or Custom"

A miracle! Everything seems OK. I can find no files of the other programs that came with the download, so I would guess I really did delete them. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Now I need to update to 4.1.1 (OH NO)

I'm retired and really only need to pay bills, open personal files & play games (That's what you do when you're 77)

Thanks again for your help!!

Thanks
    Hi Twinkie... there's no need to apologise for any delay in replying.

OpenOffice v3.1.0 is a bit long in the tooth so an update to v4.1.1 would seem to be a good idea for you.

Please bear in mind the How-To Geek article comparing OpenOffice to LibreOffice. Although the article is a year old, in my opinion it provides a good argument why it may be better to install LibreOffice v4.4.2.

Hope this helps...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use LibreOffice for all my office things and it's great. I've not yet noticed any problems viewing or working with Microsoft documents / spreadsheets.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I installed Libre Office, then installed Open Office They have thingies the other one doesn't.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Hi Twinkie... there's no need to apologise for any delay in replying.

OpenOffice v3.1.0 is a bit long in the tooth so an update to v4.1.1 would seem to be a good idea for you.

Please bear in mind the How-To Geek article comparing OpenOffice to LibreOffice. Although the article is a year old, in my opinion it provides a good argument why it may be better to install LibreOffice v4.4.2.

Hope this helps...
    Good article, bottom line:
    It doesn’t really matter whether you use LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice. Both are good choices if you’re looking for a powerful free office suite. The two projects are so similar that you’d be unlikely to notice the difference.

We’d recommend LibreOffice if we had to choose one of the two. It’s seen the most enthusiastic development and has the most potential in the long run.

But it’s hard to go wrong here. OpenOffice would probably work just fine for you, too.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(