Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 11 Instant, regular, totally annoying crash

Running Win 7. I used to be a big Opera browser fan, but now use Chrome ever since Opera gutted itself into oblivion.

Once in a while, I try IE. Every time I do that now, I instantly get the message "Internet Explored has stopped working." Accompanied by this, is a series of cascading windows with the same message, asking if I want to search for a solution or stop the program, etc. It becomes difficult to get out of this series of question boxes.

I have tried downloading & re-installing IE 11 several times, but there is no change.

What to do next? Just forget about IE altogether?

Thanks
    Try running it without any add ons. These are usually the cause of the problem. If the problem stops, restart each add on in turn until it returns.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could also try this MS Fixit https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...nce_and_safety

Even when you reinstall IE, it retains the add-ons so resetting it to defaults first is usually advisable which can also remove non default add-ons.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MS Fixit does not help. Thanks, anyway.

Problem with add-ons is that the program crashes within 400 milliseconds of starting. Not much time to fiddle around with removing add-ons, assuming I ever installed any. Is there any way I can completely delete the program before reinstallation?

Thanks
    Start Internet Explorer 11 in No Add-ons mode by running the Run command from the Start menu, and then typing "iexplore.exe -extoff" into the box.

If IE 11 runs without crashing, you can go to manage Add Ons and enable half to retest normal operation. Repeat a process of elimination until you find the culprit.

Before doing this, I would run both Malwarebytes - www.malwarebytes.org
    and
    AdwCleaner - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

to insure you haven't picked up any malware.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can reset IE to defaults either by going Start - type tmp and click on Change temporary Internet file settings or in All Control Panel Items and click on Internet options.

Click on the Advanced tab then the Reset button and I check all boxes when I reset IE, although I have to reset my home page to my ISP one and under the Advanced tab, scroll down to Security, uncheck any SSL boxes and ensure the TLS ones are.

You can also start IE without add-ons (there is a Run command but I can never remember it) by going Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools and click on Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Click on the home page icon to give you the normal browsing window and see if it crashes in that mode.

If it doesn't then go to Manage Add-ons and disable all, restart IE and then re-enable each add-on at a time until the crash returns and then you can leave that one disabled by repeating the steps to start IE without add-ons to disable it and sometimes you can have the option to remove it.

Ah, I see Jerry has supplied the no add-on Run command - will have to make a note of that

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same problem. I rarely use IE but it will not work at all now. Below is the message I get.
    Screenshot_1.jpg

Thanks
    There are some suggestions here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/i...rking#ie=ie-11

Jerry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

pfeldmann (2015-04-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved my issue with these instructions.
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...es-930626.html

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem seems to be solved by;
    1 - removing emet
    2 - running junkware removal tool.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Happy to hear you solved it. Thank you posting your solution as it may help others.

Jerry