Lounger
    Thanks

Folder created, customized, copied, pasted, and loses customization

Any suggestion on how to copy a blank folder so it retains a customized Details columns structure?

I put my music into "album" folders and have a preferred set of columns in Details view.

With every album I need to customize the columns because I can't copy and paste an EMPTY folder that retains the customization.

For full disclosure, while I tested for this new thread I decided to put one song in a customized folder and copy that folder. It worked. So that's a work around.

HOWEVER! I would still like to be able to use my original plan, to work with blank folders.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That may be a function of the music program you are using. Using Windows Explorer on Win7, I can create a New Folder on my C: drive with no files in it and Move it to one of my External drives without problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using plain old Windows Explorer for my tests. This is copy/paste, not move.

What I want is to have a template type folder to copy and paste. On this laptop system everything is on a single partitioned primary, the C: drive.

What happens is when I paste to the target folder, the column structure is just like any unmodified newly created folder. It is in details view, but for instance the # (track number) column is not there, much less between the file name and the file size like the original folder.

Was the folder you tested customized to be Detail view with at least one additional column chosen?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I could have said Copy but if one can Move a Folder they surely can Copy it and Paste to a different location.

Usually I set a drive or Folder view as desired then go to the View tab and click on Apply to all Folders. However, I have noticed that Windows Explorer [File Explorer on Win8 and later] tends to handle music Folders differently. It hasn't been a problem for me as I let Windows Media Player store song files I rip from CD.

Thanks
    I also have Win 8 and using File Manager to create a folder in the Music library, it creates a music folder complete with track number column. Copying this keeps the track number etc. Are you using libraries? I suspect that you need to be in a folder which is set for music to create similar sub folders. I assume you've looked at the customise on the folder's properties, it should be optimised for Music and there's a tick box for applying to all subfolders.

BTW you can't move files/folders to an external disk only copy them.

Lounger
    Thanks
    "Are you using libraries?"
    ---Thanks for reminding me, I need to get into the habit. That sounds the best. I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Try this routine to Move to another disk, it works for me:
    Click and Drag to external, press Shift before you let go, release the click then release Shift

Similarly, if you stay on the partition but want to make a Copy in another folder:
    Click and Drag to another folder on the same disk, press CTRL before you let go, release the Click an then release CTRL

The main thing is to press the CTRL or Shift before you let go.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure you can. I got a new 32GB USB 3.0 Thumb drive today, plugged it into a USB 2.0 port and moved a Folder with 1 file in it from the HDD to the new drive, no issues. I do it all the time with External USB WDC 2TB HDDs and a NAS attached to my router using WinVista, Win7, Win8.1, Win10TP and Linux Mint. My Mac OS X doesn't have Move on the mouse context menu but I can Copy to the NAS then delete, just a difference in how the Mac works.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-04-16 at 16:34.

Thanks
    Well there you go, learned something new. I've always just dragged files to move them on the same disk (with ctrl to copy them), but this doesn't work moving to a different disk. However, shift does move them - never knew that.

Thanks
    Try dragging a file using the right mouse button...

Thanks
    I'm now feeling very inadequate. I should have remembered that MS gives you umpteen ways of doing anything....

Even pressing alt when dragging the file creates a link. Ho hum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Try dragging a file using the right mouse button...
    That's my preferred method—move anything anywhere.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows