New Lounger
    Thanks

Protect OneDrive files

OneDrive question: Use OneDrive on multiple platforms: Desktop, laptop and Windows phone. Works well. Have purchased a new laptop. Want to give my old laptop to son for school. Does anyone know how to protect my current OneDrive files when I give my old laptop to son? I could backup all docs to flash drive and delete but think there must be a better method of protecting files.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Protect in what way? Why would you leave your files on the PC anyway? If you create a normal non-admin account for your son he won't be able to access your files.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could factory reset it and then just stick back on what would be helpful for your son as he may need to download something occasionally for school, which he wouldn't be able to do with a non admin account.

Thanks
    Surely the easiest way is to prevent the old laptop having access to the Onedrive account?

How that is done is O/S specific.

Which operating system is currently on the old laptop Hal?

Thanks
    I get laptops all the time, where one person is done with it and another person will take it over.
    Changing owners of a PC is fairly easy.
    I just create a new user, with Administrator privileges, and then boot up to the new user, and delete the original user, which also removes all their personal files.
    Voila! I've just changed users of that PC.

I'm not familiar with One Drive, since I don't use ANY off-premises storage.
    (I want all my data backups right HERE, where I can control it, not off in cyber space somewhere.)
    But if it's a program on the PC, Un-Install it! That would solve that problem, once and for all. Eh?

Just a personal opinion:
    For optimum control of your valuable data, saved email, favorites, etc, just get a high capacity Flash Drive or External hard drive and back up your data to one or both of those on a regular basis. That's what I do, and my backup only takes a few seconds, since I'm only backing up files that are either New, or have changed. For my data backup, I've written a DOS Batch file, using XCOPY to do the actual backup. Nothing is simpler, or safer.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with One Drive, since I don't use ANY off-premises storage.
    (I want all my data backups right HERE, where I can control it, not off in cyber space somewhere.)
    Cloud storage like One Drive is very useful for a couple of reasons:
    1. As a redundant off premises backup location.
    2. As a location to share files with another computer, phone, or Tablet. I have used One Drive to transfer files between my Windows desktop and my Ipad.

Jerry