5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install the correct Microsoft Security Essential for my 64-bit computer

I just purchased an HP 6560B laptop Win7 Pro 64-bit Core I5-2520M laptop
    --- I want to install Microsoft Security Essentials
    --- It presents the following information Version 4.7.0205.0 Date published 2/9/2015
    --- And it wants me to choose between ENU\amd64\MSEInstall.exe or ENU\x86\ MSEInstall.exe
    --- My system is a 64-bit system but it doesn’t have an AMD processor
    --- Should I still select the ENU\amd64\MSEInstall.exe or is it ok to select ENU\x86\ MSEInstall.exe
    --- Or do I have to find out how to acquire an Intel 64-bit MSE install?

jwoods
    You would download EN\amd64\MSEInstall.exe for 64-bit systems.

FYI, MSE has not done well in recent AV product testing...

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

http://www.av-test.org/en/home/?avtest%5Btype%5D=3

https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-17 at 17:34.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-04-18)

Thanks
    Download the MSE installer stub and run it... it'll automatically download the correct installer version for you based on your laptop's architecture.

Hope this helps...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Installed ENU\amd64\MSEInstall.exe: the amd part had me confused since I have an Intel processor
    jwoods I checked out those links and MSE doesn't look good but I'll stay with it for the time being as I use Malwarebytes also
    --- I noticed BullGuard looks very good (I have a 30 day free trial if I want to try it)
    Rick the MSE installer stub reported I was trying to install the 32-bit version and I need to get the 64-bit version and that's why I went back and installed the ENU\amd64\MSEInstall

Thanks
    cmptrgy - For info, I use Avast Free with Malwarebytes Pro without any problems.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-04-18)

Thanks
    I've used free Avast & Avira; free Malwarebytes & Spybot 1.62; Windows Firewall or Comodo Firewall [free version] -- for their respective areas of strength. True, either Avast or Avira has real time shields on, not both. All can run on-demand scans.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Installed ENU\amd64\MSEInstall.exe: the amd part had me confused since I have an Intel processor
    That's not a problem. Intel had a different version of 64-bit called Itanium, identified as ia64.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-aa6f9a09d14a

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I get the impression that many folk would rather rely on anecdotal evidence or the word "free" to choose their AV product.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "rely on anecdotal evidence or the word "free" to choose their AV product"
    "free" is a very good point. In my case I do not rely only on MSE on the computer I'm setting up now
    I always use a 2nd opinion AV & a 3rd opinion AV on an alternate schedule and they haven't failed me yet

I have seen many times in which well known paid AV programs/suites have failed their owners and the "freebies" I use came through for them also
    --- That said though, after I finish cleaning out a computer, I sit down with the owner and explain how their program works so they understand how it works

I bought my very first brand new computer back in 1998; it had all the bells and whistles the best computers had in those days. But it got infected in about 6 weeks and I had no idea why. So I told myself I'm going to learn how to keep my computer safe & well maintained. I haven't had an infected computer since then; haven't even bought a new computer since then (used or refurbished) and each one has run just fine through it's OS full life cycle.
    --- I'm proud that I have been able to do that and I certainly hope my luck continues

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    In my case I do not rely only on MSE on the computer I'm setting up now
    I always use a 2nd opinion AV & a 3rd opinion AV on an alternate schedule and they haven't failed me yet
    Hopefully, you are not running 3 AV programs at the same time...

If you are, Google "running more than one AV program" to see why you should never run more than one at a time.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-20 at 04:55.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Hopefully, you are not running 3 AV programs at the same time"
    No I do not do that and I always appreciate reminders like that because if I were doing that I would correct myself