Lounger
    Thanks

Question Really weird NAS problem...

Here is a really weird problem I have just noticed. I have a 2TB NAS box. If I copy a file to the NAS box, it will show the date modified as the same as the drive I copied from, but it shows a date created as 10/31/2007, even though that is not the date it was created. Also, on the NAS box, if I right click and create either a new file or new folder it will give it a date created as 10/31/2007. NAS box was bought Oct. 2011. System date is correct. And this behavior is not duplicated on either internal hard drive or an external hard drive. Obviously it appears to me to be a problem with the NAS software, which is also up-to-date. Anyone ever seen, heard of, or experienced this? Very curious.

Thanks
    Is there a firmware update for the NAS box? A small software package for the drive itself.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    Is there a firmware update for the NAS box? A small software package for the drive itself.
    as I stated above... NAS software is up-to-date.

Thanks
    Don't forget that NAS software is Linux-based, and only 'emulates' the NTFS file system.
    Here's part of what I wrote about a Buffalo NAS box at the end of 2009 - it presumably is still applicable. I have always avoided the "File Creation Time" NTFS field as a snare and a delusion.

The file-system used by NAS devices will usually be one supported on Linux, such as ext2, ext3, ext4 or XFS. When accessed from a Windows PC, the NAS device will often use Samba to present a consistent view which ‘emulates’ NTFS. However, there is a problem with timestamp granularity – the precision with which the file timestamps (‘Last Modified/Written’ being the only consistent one in Windows) are held, or presented to the enquirer.

If Samba is being used on the NAS device with the “dos filetime resolution” set to “yes”, then, regardless of the timestamp granularity of the underlying Linux file system, the file times reported to Windows are rounded up to even values of seconds, in the same way as does the DOS/Windows FAT file system. Thus the inspections of the timestamps of files on a NAS device will only show the seconds fields as containing the values 00, 02, 04…58.

Another fact observed is that the size of an ‘allocation unit’ on the NAS appears to be 1 KiB, 1024 bytes.

Later...
    A further point to note on NAS drives that deletion of folders and files on them is agonisingly slow when compared with the same function on real Windows NTFS drives.
    Last edited by BATcher; 2015-04-18 at 06:08. Reason: Add sentence about deletion on NAS drives
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

BatBytes (2015-04-18)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that info. I logged in to the box and found the date & time set incorrectly. Don't know when or how that could have happened. But all is well now. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BatBytes View Post
    as I stated above... NAS software is up-to-date.
    There is a difference between the software and firmware....the software is what lets you move/copy/save your data to the drive with a GUI, where as the firmware is how the drive communicates with the mobo (like the BIOS). All HDD's have firmware...and in this application (set up), your NAS, I was wondering if your NAS manufacturer has a firmware update to install.